3 Weeks
    Height:5 ft 8
    Weight:130lbs->142lbs
    Squat:105lbs 3x5->180lbs 3x5
    Dead Lift:130lbs 3x5->190lbs 3x5
    Power Clean:65lbs 3x5->90lbs 3x5
    Bench:70lbs 3x5->100lbs 3x5
    Press:55lbs 3x5->80lbs 3x5
    Hey Coach, I am a teenage guy who has been following your program rigorously over the past 3 weeks. I have gotten 8+ hours of sleep nightly, consumed between 4500 and 5000 calories every day, drank a gallon of whole milk daily and never missed a workout. I have been increasing my weights every workout, but the last 2 workouts I reached a stall. I found myself missing reps on all exercises(except power clean), and working unbelievably hard to complete that fourth rep of five. My form has also been becoming worse as the weights became heavier. What I want to know is whether I started with too much weight, and whether I should reset my weights a certain amount. Would I possibly even need to start over the entire program with lighter weights? As of today I have also increased my calorie intake to 6000 daily in an effort to aid my progression. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am a novice to lifting.

Why are you doing 3 sets of deadlifts? How large are the jumps you're making? How long do you rest between sets?

All the lifts are stalling?

1. stop deadlifting 3 sets of 5.

2. You may want to put up some form check vids.

3. Power cleans are 5x3, as in 5 sets of 3.

4. How easy were the starting weights?

Yeah, what the others said. Drop to 1 set of deadlifts, and check that form. Small tweaks in your form can really make a difference in how the reps feel. I would not recommend consuming 6000 Calories per day........4500-5000 should be more than enough. FWIW, I think you've made very good progress for three weeks, especially considering your size. Looks like it's time to deload.

Make sure to get enough rest between sets and slow down your increases.

I don't need to read anything here. YNDTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I don't need to read anything here. YNDTP.
    Greg, I don't think that the guy has done many wrong things in here. Yeah, he has done 3x5 deads, and maybe his form is not good, but in general I see that he has progressed well (and eaten well which is the most problematic thing to fix). One important thing that OP should tell us: what's your age? There's a huge difference between 14 and 19. Otherwise I would deload and follow the suggestion of the other guys.

While you are probably right, three weeks stalling is indicative of a baseline lack of comprehension or even effort to follow the program as written. It's really that simple. Either he didn't bother to read the book, or didn't understand it. In any case, he's NDTP.

starting strength coach development program
    But even if that is the case, it doesn't help him much to say he's not doing it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast