starting strength gym

Thread: lower back ache from shrugs

Default lower back ache from shrugs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hello everyone first post on this forum. i live in california and im 32 years old. i have been doing ss on and off for about a year when i say on and off is that i have a problem staying on a schedule do to work. my overall goal is to get stronger but like i said i am having trouble staying cosistent. to get back to my question i was thinking about adding some shrugs to my routine but i am having some back aches when i do them. so i was wondering if anyone here has any tips about avoding this type of problem. thanks in advance.

Ive had this problem and fixed it doing the following. Maintain excellent posture throughout your shrugs, wear a belt tight, and hang from a bar in between sets to let the vertebrae stretch out a little.

Okay that makes sense didn't really think about using a belt.

The reason I asked was because there is a older guy where I work out.

He is probably about 60 and he does shrugs most the times he is there so I asked him if he could he give me some pointers on shrugging since they feel awkward to me when I use a barbell.

The first thing he asked me was do you have any back problems. I said not really. Then he told me to do them with my back upright.

I guess he meant to keep good posture while doing them.

So I thought to myself if I can dead lift then I should be able to shrug with no problem long story short at the end of my work out my lower back kinda ached.

That's why I posted.

Thank you for your response I will try to stay tight and upright next time.