starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visiting PT from Florida "spotted" me inside the squat rack.

Default Visiting PT from Florida "spotted" me inside the squat rack.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I usually just have to put up with the usual "don't squat", "don't break parallel", "you'll blow your knees" (BOOM!), etc... when I squat. Our Y has a nice Icarian power rack with nice heavy duty side bars. But when you low bar squat +300 and have the "elderly" look about your hair, everyone has advice before they see you do it -- including, shamefully, others with the "look".

But yesterday was a new one, for me. A late teener, visiting from Florida who said he was second in the state in his class in Olympic lifts or some shit -- I wasn't really listening that hard, and he was going for some N-something Personal Trainer certification almost had me throwing weights at him. Our rack faces the wall and has a mirror. I'm inside the squat rack minding my own business, breathing hard to go for my fifth rep at 350, and this ....... young man pops up in back of me all of sudden and says, "Want me to spot you?" Talk about a concentration fuck grenade!

I seethed "NO!, I've got the pins, Go Away!" He said, "It's OK go ahead. I've got you." O motherfucking god! I said, as politely as I could under load, "NO, GO THE FUCK AWAY!!" But he didn't! I needed to finish the rep and kill him, so I went down, and half way up he's "encouraging" me with unwanted jabber and then, he grabs my sides! OOOOOOO! he's going to die!!!

My wife, who lifts with me, came and grabbed him and pushed him away and told him to stop. By the time I racked and caught my breath and came out of the rack another young guy who's familiar with seeing me squat was ushering him from the room.

After I had calmed down later I saw him and he apologized straight away (the other guy already yelled at him). But who the hell pops up in surprise on somebody with 350 pounds on their back? He said being a PT he likes helping people. Who the hell spots people inside a power rack... without being asked? He had been concerned because he's never seen anyone squat that kind of weight about the low position of the bar and back angle. I politely informed we were doing low bar under Rippetoe's tutelage. He looked puzzled and proceeded to explain how to high bar!! I thought he really had a death wish. An MMA fighter who trains there and lifts with us sometimes was listening and pulled me down the stairs into the locker room and wouldn't let me return. That was alright I calmed down in the steam and sauna and was finished with everything anyway.

But really, what kind of dumbass does that?

I think there's a thread for posts like this.

There’s another thread for old farts to talk about their lumbago, how to coordinate plaid shorts, black knee socks and brown sandals, condo prices in Florida, maintaining their Chrysler Imperials and how college age know-it-alls can be such a pain in the ass. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go outside and work on my lawn.

Sounds like you're suffering from Palm Kernel Oil Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    There’s another thread for old farts to talk about their lumbago, how to coordinate plaid shorts, black knee socks and brown sandals, condo prices in Florida, maintaining their Chrysler Imperials and how college age know-it-alls can be such a pain in the ass. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go outside and work on my lawn.
    And don't forget the old age know-it-alls. Good luck on the lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchPancakes View Post
    Sounds like you're suffering from Palm Kernel Oil Rage.
    I do like palm kernel oil.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    Anyone who squats 350 gets to post in any thread they want!

What a jag-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Griobhtha View Post

fuck grenade!

No comment on your story, but the first thing I'm ordering tonight at the bar is a Fuck Grenade. I don't know what I'm going to get, but I can guaran-fucking-tee it's going to be AWESOME!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    And it's got such an obvious title for a gym-bitching thread, too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast