starting strength gym

Thread: Torn erector spinae(I think).

Default Torn erector spinae(I think).

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello!
    I teared/strained/pulled(?) during my squats a week ago, the first set I felt a strange feeling in the lower right part of the back. I didn't think it was anything special, but when I did a 2nd set of squats I believe I torn it more open.
    This was a pretty severe tear I think, I had to go to the medical center and get painkillers and checked by a doctor. I was pretty much crippled the first day after.
    Now I can walk properly, altough I can't bend down to pick something up unless I do it on my right side so the left side of the erector spinae does the job. Now, a week after it still hurts if I activate the muscle.
    What shall I do? When can I squat again?

It is very rare to tear a muscle in the back. Far more common is suffer a ligamental injury that will hurt like hell for a good long time. Provided you didn't herniate a disc, you should start moving again as soon you can. Check out the Starr Rehab thread on this board. It is intended for muscle belly tears, but I used a very similar thing to help with my back. Your back is going to hurt. For a while. Get used to it. Get stronger. Eventually, you will be be setting PRs again.

How do I know if it wasn't a ligamental injury? The doctor just tested if I could move in certain ways to it could possibly be that too.
    Yes, I've already looked a little bit at the Starr Rehab Program, I saw Rip explaining it in a post. But now I don't remember and I can't find the Starr rehab program thread. Could you link me to it?
    When should I start doing this rehab program? My muscle hurts really bad if I good morning even without a barbell. This morning I slowly "good morninged" myself down to where I should go back again, I stood in front of a chair and onto the armrests for support. I instantly knee'd the floor with my right knee in pain. So I'm not sure if I should do the rehab program just yet. And it's been 8 days since I tore the muscle(!). I am moving around as normal just a little calmer, without activating the muscle.