starting strength gym

Thread: Pain

Default Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have pain in my hips, knees, shoulders, neck, and spine.
    i'm sure i have decent form but i have a noticeable buttwink, i think this is why my spine hurts after squats when i sit down to rest.
    i have no idea why my knees hurt, i'm just doing squats, going all the way to parallel, keeping my thighs and feet aligned...
    i hurt my shoulder about 3 months ago when benching because i was lifting with my arms and shoulders instead of just my arms, and i had to take two months + off. I've started benching again with only 95lb and my shoulder (only the right shoulder) is hurting again. furthermore, whenever i do farmer-esque walks like carrying heavy grocery bags or carrying 45lb plates, my shoulders hurts briefly and intensely then stops (i've had this problem way before i started lifting)
    idk what neck pain is from--i'm making sure to keep my head slightly off the bench when i BP

what do you guys think i should do? in two weeks i'm going on vacation for 3 weeks. i could bring my weights and rack along with me if i wanted to. do you think i should just work on flexibility and form for now until i stop having pain, and then switch back to adding weight? will eliminating buttwink remove the pain in my spine and hips?

6'2'' 160lbs

keep in mind i have minor scoliosis and flat feet.

any relevant feedback much
    Last edited by MaxVCC; 07-16-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Your post is all over the place... hardly know where to start...

a) If your actual spine is hurting then you have some serious problems and you should discontinue training until you see a doctor and a coach because you're going to mess yourself up. More likely it's your spinal erector muscles you're feeling. Do the drill in the "low back" platform video linked from the Resources section. Is that the feeling you're feeling ? If so it's fine to feel some of that though it doesn't tell you if you have good or bad form.

b) How do you know you have good form ? have you taken a video ? having significant back rounding as you claim is itself bad form if in fact you have it. Further, having pain in 3 of the 4 joints involved in the squat is suggestive that you may in fact not have great form.

c) In the beginning everything's going to hurt somewhat. Actually if you're working hard a lot of things are going to hurt somewhat a lot of the time. It's a range that starts at benign soreness then goes to things that are more inflamed then they should be but are fine to seriously injury. How old are you ? What is your sports and training background? Where are your lifts? How long have you been doing this? When did the pain start?

d) shoulders and the bench: what about your shoulder did you hurt 3 months ago ? how much weight were you using ?

my basic catchall feedback at this point (as a random internet guy) without knowing more is that you should 1) double check your form, 2) do some lighter weight higher rep sets of the exercises to get things loosened up and "grooved" and 3) if you figure out what's particularly tight or weak hit up mobilitywod and find a couple of appropriate drills to do for those parts.

I think you should find a good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVCC View Post
    what do you guys think i should do?

6'2'' 160lbs
    I agree. Get a coach. Put on about 60 pounds.