Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

christbj Guest

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark

I have started doing SS after I had read your books Starting Strength and Practical Programing. That I got recommended from some Norwegian website. I am a 24 year old male. 192cm tall and weight 90kg.

I have had some problem with my squats. Before I got my weightlifting shoos I couldn’t get down below parallel at all. I hope that you could help me out and give me some pointers on my squat and deadlift technique, and how i could get better flexibilety.

Squat 85kgx5

Deadlift 105kgx5

Sincerely Christopher

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I don't know what you're talking about--your depth is fine, unless the camera angle is really distorting.

You are, however, pausing at the bottom of your squat. Work on just bouncing up out of the bottom.

Stance is too wide on the squats and deads are too light to mean anything.

christbj Guest

I don't know what you're talking about--your depth is fine, unless the camera angle is really distorting.

You are, however, pausing at the bottom of your squat. Work on just bouncing up out of the bottom.
    Yeah I feel that I don't get the bounc at all. It makse the lift hard.

Stance is too wide on the squats and deads are too light to mean anything.
    If i try to get smaller stance i feel i can't get deep enough or i fall backwards. Its bigger problem when i don't got the weightlifting shoos.

Quote Originally Posted by christbj View Post

If i try to get smaller stance i feel i can't get deep enough or i fall backwards. Its bigger problem when i don't got the weightlifting shoos.
    I find this very hard to believe. Just take your stance a couple of inches narrower, it should be fine. Do the deadlift with more weight and post back.

Quote Originally Posted by mamba12ga1 View Post
    It’s high. Not horribly, but by at least an inch. As Carlos says, narrowing the stance will help.

You’re probably not leaning over enough because you probably don’t shove your knees out enough when your stance is shoulder width. This seems to be the #1 mistake people new to the LB squat make. Try it. Post video, and we’ll help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    deads are too light to mean anything.
    +1, but I can tell already that you’re setting up with the bar too far forward, and you drop your hips instead of squeezing the chest up when you set the back. You need to look straight ahead on the DL, not down. You also put the bar down all wrong. Use a challenging weight and re-post video, but make sure you clearly show the deadlift setup steps.

christbj Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    It’s high. Not horribly, but by at least an inch. As Carlos says, narrowing the stance will help.

You’re probably not leaning over enough because you probably don’t shove your knees out enough when your stance is shoulder width. This seems to be the #1 mistake people new to the LB squat make. Try it. Post video, and we’ll help you out.
    I will try to do what you guys recommend and see how it goes. Hopefully I can film a new movie. But I have joined a new gym, and I don't know if they allow me to film.

+1, but I can tell already that you’re setting up with the bar too far forward, and you drop your hips instead of squeezing the chest up when you set the back. You need to look straight ahead on the DL, not down. You also put the bar down all wrong. Use a challenging weight and re-post video, but make sure you clearly show the deadlift setup steps.
    The dead lift movie is a bit old, i got some pointers on if form other people and they pointed out the same ting ass you. I will try to do it with more weight next workout and with better form.

Thank you guys.

ting ass
    We need to repurpose this phrase and try to get it into currency in everyday slang.

christbj Guest

We need to repurpose this phrase and try to get it into currency in everyday slang.
    Sorry! My bad. English isn't my native language, hehe.

starting strength coach development program
    English isn't my native language, hehe.
    OK, then am I correct in assuming that the sexual blasphemy implied by your username is also unintentional?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast