starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geez! Makes 10th Degree Black Belt: First Woman of this Rank

Default Geez! Makes 10th Degree Black Belt: First Woman of this Rank

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I heard this on the news driving into work today.

California -- Please forget the absurd nonsense of 9-, 15- or 20-year-old "experts" or "masters". Yes, the kids are great and cute and all that, but lets get real. Being a true master or expert takes a life of dedication to an art.

It definitely involves more than being able to perform intricate patterns, kick high, win medals or being handed belts like candy.

One such true master, expert and legend is Keiko Fukuda sensei from San Francisco, who recently received the highest honor of judo. At the age of 98, she has been awarded the ultimate rank of 10th dan. Bravo and congratulations Fukuda sensei!

She is the first woman ever to be promoted to this rank. Not only that, there are just three people before her, all Japanese men, who have reached that level.

Fukuda sensei still teaches at the women's dojo in Noe Valley, and she was reportedly in tears when she was brought the news.

"All my life," Fukuda sensei said, "this has been my dream."
    http://martial-arts-sources.blogspot...-10th-dan.html

She is the last living student of Jigoro Kano, the man who founded judo. He synthesized several styles of jujitsu in it's creation.

Wow! Yet another woman who can easily kick my butt. Or break me or any part of me....sigh....

But that is SO COOL!

I am such a sissy.

Thanks for posting this!
    There's a documentary that is being made about her. I don't know when it will be released, but I participated in a martial arts demonstration fundraiser for it a couple of years ago at my alma mater, Mills College, at which college Fukuda Sensei taught many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Thanks for posting this!
    There's a documentary that is being made about her. I don't know when it will be released, but I participated in a martial arts demonstration fundraiser for it a couple of years ago at my alma mater, Mills College, at which college Fukuda Sensei taught many years ago.
    Aside from the age thing, I posted this with both you and spar specifically in mind. At her age the term grrrl power doesn't seem appropriate or even terribly respectful given her long term contributions and achievements, but it does have a certain resonance in terms of inspiration. I especially liked this:

California -- Please forget the absurd nonsense of 9-, 15- or 20-year-old "experts" or "masters". Yes, the kids are great and cute and all that, but lets get real. Being a true master or expert takes a life of dedication to an art.

It definitely involves more than being able to perform intricate patterns, kick high, win medals or being handed belts like candy.
    I especially liked the California paragraph lead. God knows there are too many seeking instant gratification in the martial arts. Master Bellman has commented on this more than once and it is always worth watching the audience on the tatami when he says it. You can predict within weeks who will be leaving mushin ryu.

(I'm on the left)

I met her about a month and some ago. She's absolutely amazing. Granted, she's ridden with Parkinson's and can no longer stand unassisted, but touching her hands felt like touching another era. I wish the stodgy old Japanese men over at the International Judo Federation would also get around to promoting her (her promotion is through USA Judo, the most minor of the three national governing bodies, though evidently the most useful of them).

What's interesting in this photo of her in her red belt is there's no white stripe in the middle the way I recall was traditional for women judoka's. Does that mean at the very senior dan ranks they dispense with that?

You must have recalled from a LONG time ago, lol. They've done away with stripes for a long while; the former president of the NOW didn't like it and sent a petition to the Kodokan or something, saying there was no rational basis behind it (personally, I like it to distinguish dudes from manly chicks ^^ but I see her point). Ironically, though, she still wears her brown w/stripe from the Kodokan that she got back in the 60s, and the yudansha there were a mix of stripes and solids; male chauvinism or effective pedagogy, the stripe seems to be an honorable indicator that a female Judoka is a veteran, perhaps like a battle scar, or (ew) cauliflower ear.

I've reached the venerable age of 60 and competed in college in the late 60's and early 70's. Then I lost touch for a lot of years until I got back into jujitsu 7+ years ago. I keep learning new things about the (then even stodgier) judo I was part of then. Ne-waza had even less respect then compared to now if that seems even remotely possible.

starting strength coach development program
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in almost all traditional and "normal" japanese / chinese / korean martial arts, everyone promoted above 3rd or 4th dan is promoted no longer on technique or technical knowledge, or physical proficiency.

When you get promoted to 10th dan, you're either dead or soon will be. Founders are out of the ranking system, (and their heirs) so they just wear white belts or whatever color they like.

I remember when Fukuda was promoted to 8th and 9th dan several years ago.

When Seagal Sensei (Aikido) was promoted to 7th dan, ... I think it was argued that it was because of his world wide contribution to spreading the existence of the art, primarily through his movies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast