starting strength gym

Thread: Shoe Recommendations for relatively inflexibly lifter

Default Shoe Recommendations for relatively inflexibly lifter

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was always told to lift in chuck taylors because of the flat soles but my flexbility isn't good enough for that yet because of the flat soles. I re read the part in the book about shoes. What specific recommendations would you have for an inflexible lifter. Trying not to spend over 150.

But by recommendations i mean heel height in cm or inches? for example i found these vs shoes with a heel height of 3.3 cm. I couldn't find any shoes for lifting at any local sporting goods store so i couldn't try them on, and I don't want to make the wrong purchases. Thank you

Which of your lifts suffer from inflexibility and how?

squats- heel lift, deadlift round , barely extended back

Quote Originally Posted by jmescalante2 View Post
    squats- heel lift
    What does this mean? That your ankles hurt during the squat?

I always recommend WL shoes, but I also think you need to post a form check. People who claim flexibility as a limiting factor are almost always wrong and are just using incorrect form.

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    What does this mean? That your ankles hurt during the squat?

I always recommend WL shoes, but I also think you need to post a form check. People who claim flexibility as a limiting factor are almost always wrong and are just using incorrect form.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNyD7ze7VKo my heels with either come off the ground ( no pain) or there will be a lack of lumbar extension. i read somewhere that mark rippetoe doesn't like do wins because of the heel lift. is 3/4 of an inch considered too much? thanks again everyone

Edit: the shoes i''m wearing in the video are circas ( skating shoes) they have no compressible soles so they are hard and relatively flat, maybe a slightly higher heel lift than chucks.
    Last edited by jmescalante2; 08-09-2011 at 05:14 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I wear Do-Wins, and even though I have good ankle flexibility, I am not bothered by the heel height. A 1/2 inch heel differential is what Rip recommends, but mileage varies by lifter.

Your video isn't very useful. Read Steve and Tom's sticky on how to film form checks.

I'm almost positive you're not getting your femurs out of the way, but I can't tell given the quality and angle of your video. Get better video and post in the "Technique" forum, where others can see it and chime in, too.