starting strength gym

Thread: Can I go back to being a novice?

Default Can I go back to being a novice?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,

Long-time reader, first time poster. Actually, I trained with you a couple years ago (only for a few days). I was the kid that paid you a year later via a letter from Italy.

My question might fall into the category of “the definition of novice.”

I am in the military, and for one reason or another, was forced to become good at running (horrifying, I know). So while I still lift 4+ times a week on the basic lifts, I have lost a significant amount of weight (212 to 185, and I was already at a fairly low BF %). I expect to reach my running goals soon, and can’t wait to get back on the lifting/”eating like a man” train. When this time comes, I will drop distance running altogether, and any conditioning I do will be in the form of short hill sprints 2-3 times a week at most (probably less). My goal is clear and simple: get big and strong.

My question is: Should I start back up with the novice program? I ask because I’ve lost about 90+ lbs on my squat and 70+ lbs on my deadlift. So while at one time I was not a novice (405 squat, 515 deadlift after 2-3 years of training), I certainly am hitting novice numbers now (maybe 315 squat if I’m lucky, 455 deadlift). Is your novice card like another card that once you give up you can’t get back? Or can I start from the beginning again since my lifts have regressed so much?

I appreciate any feedback,
    Zack

From what I've gathered... after a layoff you can use the novice progression till previous strength levels are attained. I would say you should try it from where you're at and see how your progress goes (along with food)... if you make gains, keep going.. if you stall quickly, time for intermediate programming. I've had injuries that set me back and I have been able to use the SS novice program to get back to where I was at the end of the novice pregram the first time. Let us know how it goes.

Uncle Carl Guest

Mostly terms like "novice" are used to describe your level of adaptation. After you've adapted you can't go back. However, you can use "novice" programming to quickly regain strength that is "lost" after a long layoff. So perhaps it's semantics: you can't actually be a novice again but you can use novice programming for a little while in order to get back to where you previously were in your lifts.

I do something like that every year... my focus kind of changes to doing out doorsy stuff during the summer so when the weather starts getting cold again, I go back to a short novice like progression. It's going to be shorter than the first time, and you can start higher and take bigger jumps. You might even end up setting some PR's before it's over, but don't try to milk it for too long. You'll know when you are ready to move on to some more advanced programming.