starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geezer Gas

Default Geezer Gas

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Today marks the completion of 1 full year of membership at my gym, meaning 1 full year of lifting. I started with SL 5x5 and didn't come across SS until early this year.

I'm 60 years old. A year ago I was walking with a cane, when I was able to walk. I suffered brain fog, often lost track of my thoughts; sometimes couldn't speak at all or even get out of bed.

In the gym I would want to sleep and felt drained, but I kept at it. Lots of lost time due to injuries or the disease.

Eventually it was found that I was suffering from the effects of extreme mercury poisoning and lead poisoning. Today I'm much better; no cane, no brain fog, no fatigue. Still in the process of chelating the toxic metals, which sometimes brings on some of the symptoms (especially fatigue), but I'm much better and continue to get better each month. I'm about 95% or more back to where I was, except that I'm a lot stronger now than before I became ill.

So at the end of one year I've added the following weight to the lifts:

Squats: from 135 lbs to 250 x 4
    Bench: from 115 to 200 x 1
    Press: from 90 to 135 x 1
    DL: from 135 to 275 x 5

Still adding 5 lbs per week to the Squats and DL each week using TM because I was having trouble recovering with SS. Clearly I'm still in the Novice phase.

Small lifts for lots of you guys, I know (and I admire your lifts and they encourage me to chase you down!). Nevertheless for 60 yrs. old, having come back from what seemed like the land of dementia, these are big milestones for me. And I just had to let out a little Geezer Gas about them.

Inspiring as Hell, Chuck. What a great fight back to life. If it isn't too personal, how did you get this toxic load in your system?

Thanks Mark. No not too personal. The mercury was the easiest to figure out. I had a mouth full of "silver" fillings. They don't tell you that these fillings are 50-55% mercury. They put off mercury fumes all the time, but especially when you eat or brush. I had them all removed and immediately began to feel better. The American Dental Association has major financial interests in the manufacture and sales of silver amalgam fillings.

But I had also lived for a number of years in Scotland with coal as the source of heat (and to heat the water) and everyone around used it also. Didn't know that there were mercury fumes from the burning of coal. Then we also ate a lot of fish, especially tuna.

The lead is more difficult to track down. I lived awhile in Russia in an old Soviet era apt. with old lead pipes. You had to boil the water to drink it, but that doesn't remove the lead. So that may have been where I got the lead. But it might also have been in Guatemala. Can't say for sure.

Obviously my body doesn't deal with such toxins as well as that of other people. My wife has as many fillings as I had and we lived together in Scotland, but she has done fine so far, though I hope it doesn't hit her down the road.

It hit me hard. December of 2009 I collapsed. At first doctors thought it was a stroke. I was weeks in bed as a invalid before even being able to walk with a cane last year. It's good to be back!

Hey Chuck that was really inspiring, I hope to show as much persistence as you have in your first year.

Glad you're better at any rate Chuck and quite a life you've lead. Scotland and the USSR, huh? Well, I'm sure that's an interesting tale too, but one that defies specificity so I won't probe further.

Wow. Just wow! Much respect, Chuck, and very inspiring to read even for a relative youngster like myself (30). I hope I'll have the power to truck through when I am inevitably hit in the face by life like you were.

Thanks to all of you. Your words encourage me to keep at it!

I'm sure this will be the best post I read today!

+1 to what TBone said! Except this might be for the month or longer! Wow Wow Wow! Too cool!

THIS is the kind of post that leads inspiration for everyone.

Congradulations ChuckBell, for not taking it laying down and making such a GIANT, lifesaving comback!

starting strength coach development program
    My turn to say Wow! TBone & Olderster, thanks a lot for your positive feedback. I feel even better now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast