starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train the Mind for Increased Strength

Default Train the Mind for Increased Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Tommy Suggs

"This is how I trained my mind to help me become a more efficient lifter. If I had it all to do over the only thing I would do different would be to begin training my mind earlier in my career. One thing for sure, I would never consider training seriously or going to a contest without first training my mind."

Article

Resources Page

Excellent article. Many thanks for the continual flow of wisdom.

At first I thought this was gonna be an article on how to motivate yourself

I'm normally sceptical of meditation or things of that sort but I think I might give it a go

I always enjoy Tommy Suggs contributions. We're very lucky. Thank you!

Reminds me of the flight or fight response (small lady lifting car), adrenalin, and all those high level martial artists.

For me, it's just psyching up. If you can't lift the weight normally (not in a life threatening situation) maybe you shouldn't be able to do that all the time.

Incidentally, I just read something about our ancestors (cave man) always in a stressed situation because they needed that to survive, so they end up being strong and fast and healthy. When people started buying their food in supermarkets and not hunting them is when we became sedentary, obese and all the sicknesses.

But you should always feel good about lifting (whether you actually make it or not.) I missed my deadlift today, so I'll just attack it again next time.

I remember coach saying that barbells are substitute cave man activity.

Very interesting. I've read books about Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) but never considered using it for competitions like this.
    Its also apparent that a true athlete will run the extra mile like Suggs did.

Great article.

I like to think barbells are a substitute for caveman activity as well, well said Dabs/Rip. I have no doubt that utilizing a useful, structured mental approach will improve ANYONE's lifting, and may even help to propel an athlete to the next level. As a former Div. 1-level golfer, I can't say enough about the importance of visualization and concentration, it is almost always the difference between GOOD and GREAT in high-level athletics. Thanks Mr. Suggs, and Rip for posting this article.

Brooks Kubrik's Dinosaur Training has a section on visualization that's good but not, as I recall, as in-depth as this.

Thanks for the great article; would love to see more about this aspect of training!

Thanks for the great article. It has already proven helpful to me in the gym. Pr'd 2 lifts shortly after reading it.

starting strength coach development program
    Visualization techniques are used by pro athletes with great success.... I use it myself and I've found it helps me concentrate and set PRs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast