starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osteoporosis and weight training? does it work?

Default Osteoporosis and weight training? does it work?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi

This is my first post here.

I have a mother, 51y old, she was diagnosed with advanced Osteoporosis recently. I convinced her to do some exercises.
    She wasn't so friendly toward the idea, and I had to force her like a kid to do body-weight squats (ass to calf type) and pushups.

At first she was struggling, but now she does them without a problem and loves them since saw the influence of squatting on her lifestyle (she don't need to beg someone else to carry the groceries up stairs to 4th floor anymore).

So now I'm thinking about going beyond body-weight, and tell her to do some weighted squats. of course really slow and steady progression.
    I'm thinking about telling her to hold empty gallons in each hand, and fill them with a little more water each workout, progressively reaching a point where she can squat with both gallons full of water (8KG).

Just don't know if it's alright for her condition.
    I asked her doctor, but she didn't understand what the fuck I was talking about, even told me to avoid making her do body-weight squats. the doc is clearly an idiot as you see.

The main question here is, does Osteoporosis get better with weight training (over time)?? or weight training just helps to prevent Osteoporosis and won't help anymore when you're in deep shit and currently have an advanced Osteoporosis?

Last edited by Titanium; 08-31-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squat_gnome View Post
    The main question here is, does Osteoporosis get better with weight training (over time)?? or weight training just helps to prevent Osteoporosis and won't help anymore when you're in deep shit and currently have an advanced Osteoporosis?
    As far as I know, the literature is mixed, but I am guessing that few or no studies have been done with women who lift for real, i.e. squat/DL/OH press.

Regardless, bone density isn't the only issue. Barbell lifts improve strength and balance, and these can help prevent a fall, which is the big danger to people with fragile bones.

Weight training tends to be very safe in most populations when done sensibly, and a lot of doctors recommend weight training to women with osteoporosis. But I am not a medical professional, and I'm not sure how severe your mother's condition is. Try to find a doctor who is knowledgeable about weight training. There are some on this board--perhaps they will look in.

She's currently taking Fosamax and a multivitamin supplement that has all the vitamins and minerals together.
    and is scheduled to take another DEXA scan in the next 6 months. I'll post the report of her current DEXA scan soon.

Regarding visiting a medical professional familiar with weight training: I couldn't find any in my country. you know we're living in a country where money can buy anything... except professional help... unfortunately.

The current doctor told my mother not even carry a bag heavier than 1KG.
    I guess the bag is very different than weights, because with bag you walk and get impact every step, but with weights there's no impact.

Quote Originally Posted by squat_gnome View Post
    The current doctor told my mother not even carry a bag heavier than 1KG.
    I guess the bag is very different than weights, because with bag you walk and get impact every step, but with weights there's no impact.
    This sounds very dumb. I would ask Rip, I bet he has trained older women with osteoporosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    This sounds very dumb. I would ask Rip, I bet he has trained older women with osteoporosis.
    I agreed, doctors exaggerate plenty...sounds dumb. Very interesting topic.
    Last edited by Cambero; 08-30-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Who is Rip? where can I ask him?

Thank you, so Rip stands for Rippetoe

starting strength coach development program
    I would suggest yoga. If she goes this route make sure she likes the teacher. As with anything there are good ones and bad ones. I did Iyengar yoga for 5 years and it completely eliminated any further need for a chiropractor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast