starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too much lower back extension

Default too much lower back extension

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coach

I already have lower back extension when i stand erect and normal. when i squat i tend to make an even more lower back extension by will. and i'm starting to get back problems. what do you recommend? is too much lower back extension as bad as no extension at all during squats?

also At the top of squat position I tend to keep the lower back extended. and the barbell weight (although a light 60KG) is crushing my back at the top. my back over extends when i try to extend it. and is already extended when i relax it. please guide me so i can continue my training safely.

Big thanks

Yes. Search the forums and you will find your answers. Rounding is back, hyperextension is bad, back in proper extension is good.

i think my over extended back is because of imbalance between my lower back muscles and abdominal muscles. i'm doing hanging leg raises to make my abs stronger to make the balance.

and at the top of the squat, is there any need for back extension? or the back should be flat at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by squat_gnome View Post
    i think my over extended back is because of imbalance between my lower back muscles and abdominal muscles. i'm doing hanging leg raises to make my abs stronger to make the balance.

and at the top of the squat, is there any need for back extension? or the back should be flat at the top?
    Make sure you lift your toes and look at the ceiling at the top of the rep, otherwise you won't get full extension.

sorry but the problem is i already have TOO MUCH extension. and that hurts. i need less extension and don't know how to fine tune it.

sorry but the problem is i already have TOO MUCH extension. and that hurts. i need less extension and don't know how to fine tune it.
    Instead of extending your back, try just tightening up. (Pretend you're about to take a dump and push so you tighten)

and do you push your abs out when you're lifting? i mean taking a big breath and compressing it in your stomach [i know the air don't reach the stomach really, but that's how it "feels"] ?? or do you tighten your abs without pushing the abs out?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

and do you push your abs out when you're lifting? i mean taking a big breath and compressing it in your stomach [i know the air don't reach the stomach really, but that's how it "feels"] ?? or do you tighten your abs without pushing the abs out?
    As Michael said, like you're about to take a dump--push abs out. (It's actually a really good description.) If you do it right, you should feel your lower back lock into extension. Proper valsalva will keep your lower back in safe extension through the rep (esp. if you use a belt). I also used to have a problem with overextension, and I found that pushing abs out corrected the problem pretty well.

This question has already been addressed a few times, including with pictures. Try searching a little and you should find some good info.

P.S.--Also, your sarcasm detector needs a little tune up.

Quote Originally Posted by mamba12ga1 View Post
    As Michael said, like you're about to take a dump--push abs out.
    what do you mean by "take a dump"? you mean like when shitting in the toilet?
    This question has already been addressed a few times, including with pictures. Try searching a little and you should find some good info.
    i searched but could not find it
    P.S.--Also, your sarcasm detector needs a little tune up.
    my English is not so well yet. i can't distinguish sarcasm from non sarcasm. what are you referring to?

and thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    what do you mean by "take a dump"? you mean like when shitting in the toilet?
    Yes, I mean shitting in a toilet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast