starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintenence

Default Maintenence

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For you geez*.* guys who have been doing this for a few years or more, (younger guys pipe in too if it applies to you), how much of the year do you spend in PR territory? Do any of you just maintain heavy lifts 100% of the time? How the hell do you do that?

I'm finding two runs up to and into PR land a year is doable. I could probably do 3 if I didn't change my routine for the summer months in order to get outside more.

Maintenance was going ok (I was doing low volume, high intensity while trimming down and doing more conditioning), until I took some time off to heal my elbow. I'm sure I was losing some maximal strength but not too fast.

Thanks!

I know I'm contemplating spending a few months of not pushing my PR's once I hit 225 in the OHP. Then, like you I'll probably try 2-3 runs a year at it. I'm just too close to my own goal in this one to stop now.

I try to stay with the TM template I've been running and poke at a PR maybe three times a year. The steady weekly gains are plenty reward for me most of the time but the occasional test and ego stroke is only natural, even if nobody's looking.

Oh, man, I've been ruminating over this one for an hour, and just edited out about 500 words. This question really struck a nerve with me. Or, it could have been the beer...

Anyway, I think I've condensed my thoughts down to this: PRs are really important. I think we should always have a PR in our sights. For Mark, it will be two big wheels, over his head. With gusto.

Mine is a 1000 lb. triple lift.

Today I need to hit 1RM PRs to get me where I want to be. Today I want 1RM PRs, but someday I may need to look at PRs in a different way. They may not be the 1RMs. What about 20 RMs? 100RMs? When progression stops, re-define progression. Re-define "PR."

Wait, are you guys talking about 1RM PRs or PR's in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I would count single sets or work sets in any normal rep range. I'm not into sets above 8 much at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    In my case I'm talking 1RM PR's, not calculated but actually hoisted, ground out, or locked out. Just once, even if it costs a month's recovery time having achieved it. I may never get it again even, but I can say I did it once upon a time, and no fucking fairy tale.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    I would count single sets or work sets in any normal rep range. I'm not into sets above 8 much at this point.
    I see. I don't know, if you're losing weight I can understand not making PR's very often. But making PR's twice a year simply does not match your current level of advancement. I don't know how things work in geezerland, but it sounds strange. I could be mistaken, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    For you geez*.* guys who have been doing this for a few years or more, (younger guys pipe in too if it applies to you), how much of the year do you spend in PR territory? Do any of you just maintain heavy lifts 100% of the time? How the hell do you do that?
    No matter who tells you, no one can stay in PR land for very long at a time. Our bodies will give out if we don't give them a break.

I like to think of PR's as the top of a mountain. To get to the top of that mountain I have to back way up and take a good long run at it. If I do everything right I'll smash right past that old PR and put it on a newer higher mountain. And then do it all over again.

But I do like to keep my strength no less than around 94-95% of my PR's that are my 'core' lifts. Other smaller assistant work I really don't care.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    But I do like to keep my strength no less than around 94-95% of my PR's that are my 'core' lifts. Other smaller assistant work I really don't care.
    I was doing ok with that, maintaining > 90% at least, until I took some time off for the old golfers elbow tendinitis which had turned into tendinosis.

Carlos, I know theoretically I should be able to be hitting PR's more often which is why I kind of wanted to see how other people evaluate themselves, looking at the real story in our logs. I'm hoping to get back there by the end of the year but I've got a ways to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast