starting strength gym

Thread: Peroneus tendonitis and ankle pain

Thumbs down Peroneus tendonitis and ankle pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello

Several months ago when I started using DO-Win weightlifting shoes for the first time I felt something pull to the right hand side of my right shin. Ever since then this has been a problem and getting worse. I was made worse when I had to do a bunch of circuit crap for my personal training certificate.

I recently had several courses of physiotherapy from a physio who actually does strength training. The whole ankle joint was quite loose and my peroneus was very imflammed.

I have been doing strengthening exercises 2 times daily and it does feel stronger and more stable. I took 2 weeks off from squatting and took ibuprofen 3x per day. The pain was gone completely but unfortunately has returned now that I am squatting again.

I am squatting high bar due to elbow tendonitis from squatting low bar before. I'm just wondering if if anyone has had this injury before and what helped them over come it? I was thinking of trying 'deadlifting shoes' as they have only a slightly raised heel but still the same firm surface to press my heels into. I have used video to check my ankle hip and knee allignment and honestly can't see anything out of place and neither can the physio. I took my weightlifting shoes to the treatment and showed him how I squat.

The weird thing about this is I don't feel it at all when I am doing my work sets. When I am warming up with goblet squats and afterwards is when I feel it.

Post a video, it would help. If it's the goblet squats that set it off, stop doing them. That's more of a front squat position anyway which will make you move differently from the back squats.

I was told by the gym a few weeks ago to stop filming but I'll try and get in at a quiet time to get a up to date video. Also found that grabbing the floor with my feet almost eliminates the pain.

Grabbing the floor with your feet? Maybe you didn't have your feet planted right to start with, which could have been causing problems.

Not scrunching up my feet, but imagining I'm trying to grip the floor inside my shoes. It tightens the calves and surrounding muscles before squatting.

I had never once thought of my feet when squatting, other than weight on my mid foot / heels. I will report back next session with some more testing of grabbing the floor. According to some other sources this also activates the glutes more.

supinated feet maybe? fallen arch? My left foot is pretty flat when loaded with weight, and at first I was trying to workout barefoot (at home) but after a while I got lots of weird pains in and all around my left knee. Switched to orthotics and chucks and those pains have gone. This might be why "grabbing" the floor with your feet is helping. You're preventing your foot from going loose and collapsing. Maybe?

starting strength coach development program
    I wouldn't think so. I actually have a very high arch and a heel bone that sticks out about half an inch. I am getting a pair of chuck taylors to try although it will change the way I squat slightly.