starting strength gym

Thread: The Pioneers of Protein

Default The Pioneers of Protein

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Daniel T. Hall and John D. Fair

In the 1950s when I started bodybuilding, most guys believed all you had to do to develop your body was lift weights. They didn’t think what you ate really mattered. Now we all know differently.
    —Frank Zane

Article

Resources Page

Once again, a very interesting article explaining some of how we got where we are today and the behind the scenes goings on when I was a teenager in the 60s trying to make sense of it all. Johnson morphing into Rheo Blair was a real gem of information. For one thing, I noticed how his photos, and he was big on the posed photography side as well as nutrition had some odd quality to them that as a youngster I couldn't quite name. It got more obvious when some of his photos re-surfaced in the 80's and I became aware of the gay life style.

Another element of Blair that might get passed over is his disdain of squats. He and Vince Gironda were always associated with each other after Blair moved West, in that Gironda recommended his nutritional advice and also was pretty much in lockstep with Blair about squats. Particularly with respect to Gironda's belief that they made the hips and ass too big. Makes you wonder whether Gironda came up with that on his own or whether it was Blair that influenced him. God knows it side tracked me and plenty of others from staying away from squats let alone deadlifts for some time on and off.

Your basic bodybuilding-think at work. Performance was not the issue -- appearance was the issue.

What an interesting read. I feel incredibly fortunate to have come of age after this era. I don't mean to denigrate anyone, but to read that lifts lower than mine would have put me into contention for Mr. Chicago... it drives home the point that protein intake really is *that* important. If gaining muscle and strength were much harder than it is now, with the benefit of those decades of wisdom, who knows if I could have gutted it out. Wonderful piece.

I really like the historical articles. Thank you all.
    Last edited by Jonathon Sullivan; 10-04-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: English

I used Hoffman's Hi-Proteen powder and Energol as a kid when I lifted in high school, but never looked like the guys advertised on the can, those bastids !

Quote Originally Posted by johnreynolds View Post
    I used Hoffman's Hi-Proteen powder and Energol as a kid when I lifted in high school, but never looked like the guys advertised on the can, those bastids !
    Ghastly tasting stuff it was too! I got so damn constipated my eyes turned brown.

starting strength coach development program
    Just finished reading this on my Kindle. Fascinating...a very human story, full of human ingenuity and human foible. Thanks for a great read and a different perspective.