starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower back injury, need advice.

Default Lower back injury, need advice.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So, i'll try to keep it short, cliffs only.

-End of August, been squatting with bad form, GoodMorninged a squat, got pain in the middle of lower back near the tailbone, worse with exercise, also when bending.
    -Took 2 weeks off, pain seemed to have went away.
    -Started again (doing Stronglifts, just didn't want to switch programs), form is good since (SS book - read, DVD - watched), but pain was there and i was dumb to train through it
    -This weekend, pain got worse. Stopped activities, iced.
    -Visited a doctor this time, he said it's something connected with my scoliosis (nothing specific though, i asked), said i need to rest completely for 3 more days and then i can do any exercise that takes direct lower back work out of the equation. Re-exam in a week's time.

So, i'm a complete beginner, and i need some ideas how can i rehab my back and work around the injury. I really hope someone can help me.

Hey bro, I went through something similar about 5 months back. With the scare the doctor put in me, I did not search the forum correctly and honestly I just wanted to post my own thread.

Anyways...

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=25811

Quote Originally Posted by Cambero View Post
    Hey bro, I went through something similar about 5 months back. With the scare the doctor put in me, I did not search the forum correctly and honestly I just wanted to post my own thread.

Anyways...

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=25811
    Thanks dude, i read the thread but the problem is i don't know exactly what is wrong, so it's hard to tell what i can do and what not. I am kinda scared of doing something like Bill Starr's rehab.

I tried doing pull-ups at home and they feel pretty good, nothing in the lower back seem to ache.

I say see a chiropractor, search this forums or ask in a thread for a good one where you live. Also, rest a week or two and try to lift again very carefully (if you can); act like if this is your first time at the gym.

The back heals it self with time (usually) but you cannot leave it inactive, or it will take longer to heal or heal inappropriately.

The Starr rehab is for muscle belly injuries, but you can try it; the stretch it gave me (I used deadlifts) helped the pain.

Use a belt if you do continue to lift.

Thanks for help, that thread gave me more confidence. I've started to do light stretches for hamstring/glutes/hip flexors, hang from a pull-up bar. Next week i'll try to start light on squats, with perfect form of course.

I'm having X-rays tomorrow, PT visit on friday.

MRI is better. Don't lose faith, and If PT tells you to never squat again, do not be surprise. My chiro and pain management doc both told me no more heavy anything, I am 200x3 Squats right now, eventually with time I'll reach my PR of 315x3 (5lbs increments per workout).

PT will most likely tell you to never squat/deadlift again. But really, you can be fine in the long run and do both as long as you heal the injury you have sustained before starting back. It's very difficult to say how long that is as every injury is different in severity, but you may need a break for longer than you're comfortable with and resting more, sooner will server you better than coming back sooner and struggling with a nagging injury.

x-rays will probably show nothing, but keep in mind disc injuries will not be apparent on many x-rays. Most likely it's just going to take some time, rest, ibuprofen and common sense to know don't start back until your pain is gone. going on prescription strength NSAIDS as recommended by your Dr and being very consistent with it will definitely help your recovery.

I wouldn't necessarily say do absolutely nothing, but that would be better than doing the wrong thing...like situps, back flexion, jumping back to weights too early. Seriously...just walking around can help.

If this is your first 'episode', then you may be back soon but be warned your goodmorning problem will put you right back on the bench if you don't fix it. Good luck.
    Last edited by Roy; 10-05-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    PT will most likely tell you to never squat/deadlift again. But really, you can be fine in the long run and do both as long as you heal the injury you have sustained before starting back. It's very difficult to say how long that is as every injury is different in severity, but you may need a break for longer than you're comfortable with and resting more, sooner will server you better than coming back sooner and struggling with a nagging injury.

x-rays will probably show nothing, but keep in mind disc injuries will not be apparent on many x-rays. Most likely it's just going to take some time, rest, ibuprofen and common sense to know don't start back until your pain is gone. going on prescription strength NSAIDS as recommended by your Dr and being very consistent with it will definitely help your recovery.

I wouldn't necessarily say do absolutely nothing, but that would be better than doing the wrong thing...like situps, back flexion, jumping back to weights too early. Seriously...just walking around can help.

If this is your first 'episode', then you may be back soon but be warned your goodmorning problem will put you right back on the bench if you don't fix it. Good luck.
    Yeah, doctors around here don't like this kind of physical activity, i guess they really lack the knowledge in that sphere.

My pain is getting much better, i guess i'll try to get back to super light weight training in about 4-5 days. As for the good morning problem, i've fixed my form already, worked on flexibility so it's okay now, but i'll get a video for a check and post it.

I'll start with high volume/low weight and will be working my way up slowly, of course if it would hurt, i'll stop. Diet also needs to be sorted out, i'm planning to do SS in it's original form when the things get better, with a good surplus and 10lb jumps on squats, but i'll slowly be increasing calories as the workload increases.

I'm obliged for your help, and sorry for my english, i know it's not that good

starting strength coach development program
    Your English is fine, get back on the bar as soon as you feel ready. Do not dare stay home lying or sitting all day, it will make things worst. I started 10lb jumps from about 65 or 85...I forget. But now that I am squatting body weight, it is 5lb jumps for me. Not risking reinjury.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast