starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming physical with new doctor

Default Upcoming physical with new doctor

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi gang, thanks for letting me in, I promise not to ruin the furniture.

I'm 45, 5'9", 202lbs. The scale shows that I have 28% bodyfat, measured by resistance, I think. I've been doing SS since August and making some nice progressions.

So, I was the usual case. Overweight, high triglycerides, borderline hypertension, borderline cholesterol, bad digestion, etc. Since my last physical I lost about 20-25lbs and stopped drinking alcohol, dropped processed foods and hydrogenated fats, cleaned up my diet and started exercising. No beer, cookies or non-dairy creamer. No creamer at all, I think I have an intolerance of casein, eggs and soy.

Here's the thing. I'm going to see a new doc in a month. I am like a nasty jinx for these guys. Every time I find one I like he either retires, gets forced out or falls off a cliff (for real). Because of this, my records are all over the place.

As I'm deep in the program I started to see my bodyweight and bodyfat climb up. I freak out and start eating like a ballerina. Lifts come crashing down, I'm sore as hell and cranky. I didn't realize it, but I had reverted to my pre-lifting diet of 1500 calories a day.

I need to find some balance. I want to get a good bill of health from the doc so that they don't put me on cholesterol drugs and I'm a bit afraid that I'm going to be tagged as 'obese' again. I started eating a roughly 2500-2700 calorie diet that consists of fresh veggies, lots of meat, fruits, nuts and almond milk. I'm going to start charging hard at the lifts again. Lifting makes me really happy in the lizard brain.

Your thoughts on this upcoming physical? If I do the program hard for a month will I push my numbers in some strange way? Would creatine or excessive protein cause any problems?

Thanks
    Cod

I would make sure that if you are supplementing, you stop before the physical. I freaked out my doctor with high creatinine levels. Turns out it creatine was an ingredient in the cheap Walmart whey I was taking.

You could also bring a copy of Sullydog's article in with you.

Quote Originally Posted by byzkarl View Post
    You could also bring a copy of Sullydog's article in with you.
    That's a good idea! I read it every Monday for inspiration.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking I might start Creatine after the visit. As it stands, I was borderline on so many things I am worried I'll get plugged into the 'obese guy' treadmill.

Hi Cod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod View Post
    I've been doing SS since August and making some nice progressions

Since my last physical I lost about 20-25lbs and stopped drinking alcohol, dropped processed foods and hydrogenated fats, cleaned up my diet and started exercising. No beer, cookies or non-dairy creamer.

I started eating a roughly 2500-2700 calorie diet that consists of fresh veggies, lots of meat, fruits, nuts and almond milk. I'm going to start charging hard at the lifts again. Lifting makes me really happy in the lizard brain.
    Sounds like you're doing great!

I want to get a good bill of health from the doc so that they don't put me on cholesterol drugs and I'm a bit afraid that I'm going to be tagged as 'obese' again.

As it stands, I was borderline on so many things I am worried I'll get plugged into the 'obese guy' treadmill.
    This puzzles me. The doctor will examine you, and give you results and advice. Can s/he really "put you on cholesterol drugs" or "plug you into the treadmill"? That might be the doctor's advice, but isn't that your choice? Perhaps I'm over-reaching (and if I am, I'm sorry), but I think I see you making a misunderstanding that I sometimes make: making an advisor into an authority.

BTW: I think it's almost always a good choice to follow your doctor's advice. I also think your doctor will be impressed with what you're doing!
    Last edited by Keith Friedman; 10-12-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Hey, Cod! Welcome to another geezling. Very cool.

Say, you're doing the right things to make yourself healthy and strong. Keep it up and, as Keith says, your doctor will be impressed.

I didn't realize it, but I had reverted to my pre-lifting diet of 1500 calories a day.
    Good lord! Be vigilant that you don't do this again. Just for some perspective, I am 5'2", female, and a few months shy of 40, and I eat double this when I am maintaining. Not even I go down to 1500 when I'm cutting weight.

Your thoughts on this upcoming physical? If I do the program hard for a month will I push my numbers in some strange way? Would creatine or excessive protein cause any problems?
    Just let him know that you are hitting the weights hard. Vigorous/hard exercise can cause some anomalous blood values that would be warning signs for possible issues in sedentary individuals but are usually normal for a lifter.

If your doctor is any good, he'll realize that you're already on your way to doing great things for your health now. You can always let him know that you're leery of statins, etc. and would rather see where your numbers are in 6 months after following your current diet and training regimen. As Keith says, it's not like he can force you to do anything. But it's good to have a friendly rapport with your doctor and develop a mutually respectful relationship with him.

Thanks gang!

Keith and Spar, a few years ago I was hit by a car as a pedestrian and thrown 15 feet.
    - The doc gave me lots of meds and advised surgery.
    - The PT gave me a training regimen and told me to steer clear of weights and chiropractors.
    - The chiro told me to steer clear of physicians, surgeons and physical therapists.

I listened to all three and did whatever the hell I thought sounded best from the three and got better faster than anyone expected, much to the dismay of my lawyer. When the doc saw how great the Celebrex that I WASN'T taking worked, he doubled my dosage. We called him 'The Pusher'.

There is only one MD with any authority over me, and that's my wife. She's worried about me getting a hernia and eating too much protein.

1500 was plumb stupid, I agree. I have a whole rotisserie chicken in my gym bag for lunch.

I think my question was posted because things on medical records have a nasty way of following one around.

Thanks for the advice and support, all! Although I post infrequently, I do read much of your thoughtful advice.
    Cod
    Last edited by Cod; 10-13-2011 at 09:22 AM.

4mg of fishoil capsules and a bit of oatmeal(both daily) moved my cholestoral down 40 points in a little over a year.

The doctor should be keen on how some blood work anomolies are related to high protein consumption and lifting. Just don't let him overreact. Make sure he tests your T levels as well.
    If your lipids levels come back out of whack, you should consider fish oil and niacin supplementation before looking at statins (ask your doc if it's appropriate in your case).
    Make sure you eat to support your workouts and recovery, but you don't need to eat big everyday.
    And don't forget, novice progression isn't meant to last forever and you shouldn't need to eat as much when progress slows down. Assuming you aren't going into competition or something you will eventually want to broaden your fitness goals beyond pure strength.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 10-18-2011 at 09:47 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh, good! I take fish oil and eat a bowl of oatmeal daily.

Thanks for the info on the bloodwork, it's good to know what to expect.

I'm exactly at the point you describe, ColoWayno. I'm doing pretty well on progression and am hitting Intermediate on most of my age-adjusted standards. I imagine soon I'll need to move to something else, but I hope to milk this as long as I can.

Really, I feel better than I have since high school. Fewer back problems, better stamina and posture and feeling rather -er- invigorated after a good session.

I never would have been able to do this without such a simple and well-described program. All those Men's Health articles left me really confused to the point that I would never set foot in a gym.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast