starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Platform: The Squat - Bar Position

Default Platform: The Squat - Bar Position

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A new video all about bar position & grip is now up on the main page.

Watch video

Giving the book a second read was not enough for me to notice that thumbs over the bar is not enough, I also need to remember that wrist is "held in a straight line with the forearm."

Thanks for the further help.

That was illustrated pretty clearly in the book, with an image of a piece of tape on the wrist.

Thank you! Although I've been over the squat many times in the book, it's much clearer to me now through video. The correct bar height was apparently too low.
    With knee problems, Mark states that they unfuck themselves while squatting correctly. What does one do with elbow tendonitis to unfuck properly? I've not been doing weight training for 6 months now but still have a latent pain and sting in my elbow, especially when squeezing (eg holding a pipe wrench in place)

Great video!

After watching the video I tried to correct my bar position and moved my hands closer to my neck and my elbows up (back) as hard as I could and got a numb feeling in my right thumb and index finger. Will this be better when shoulder flexibility improves / what could be the reason?

Cheers!

Too bad this video isn't going to stop the redundant questions regarding bar placement.

The explanation of bar position below the spine of the scapula, but NOT the medial bit, is a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambero View Post
    Giving the book a second read was not enough for me to notice that thumbs over the bar is not enough, I also need to remember that wrist is "held in a straight line with the forearm."

Thanks for the further help.
    Yes ^^that^^! Thank you for posting the video.

Just fanstastic. This is a landmark in explaining this incredibly basic and critical component of the most important lift. I eventually figured this out through much trial and error--errors which included getting golfer's elbow befor learning to widen my grip some--but this is going to be incredibly useful for many many many people. Showing the bone really helped my understanding. Does everyone get a bit of a permanent mark on the rear deltoids where the bar always rests? I pretty much have a callus there now after about two years of squatting.

starting strength coach development program
    I think many people do. I don't tan in the area under the bar anymore.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast