starting strength gym

Thread: A whole mess o' form checks

Default A whole mess o' form checks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First time posting vids so I hope they are pleasant to the eye. These weights are not my most current. They are from a few weeks back but was never able to upload them. If need be, I can reshoot some with my current weights and change camera angles. I did the angles I did because I have no other options in the gym for a perch. They shouldn't be a problem I hope.

Thanks in advance.

Squat: Too deep? Hip drive?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vPr1FnN7xA

Press: Someone actually was holding this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrbik0Pby_8

Deadlift: Back angle?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuIFf1X-euA

Power cleans: All around check; new to them. Have gotten better since this recording so I will probably repost this one for sure.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_L8aaBNGA

I was going to add bench but thought my form was good. Now, I may reconsider to make sure one of my arms doesn't dip unevenly at the bottom.

Squats - You're depth is o.k., but your back is rounding too much. You need to really lock your back in extension. The bar may be a little too high on your back. I can't say anything about your foot placement or knee position with this angle.

Press - Keep the bar closer to your face. It should just barely pass your nose. Try to keep your elbows more forward and not to the sides of your body.

Dead - As with the squat, your back should be locked in extension. I've seen worse, but the sooner you fix this, the better. You can probably set up just a little further back from the bar. Be sure the bar's over the middle of your foot. Your shoulders are also too far in front of the bar, they should be directly over the bar. You can fix this by having lowering your butt some more and make sure of your foot placement.

Power Clean - Some of this would be helped by being able to start the bar from the ground (or on something). As with the dead, you're back isn't quite as solid as it should be. You need to be more explosive UP.

Squat - these are not low bar back squats. You are placing the bar in the low-bar position but you aren't carrying it correctly. Your elbows and forearms appear to be supporting the weight. You might not be noticing this just yet because the weight seems pretty damn light for you. You need to shove your elbows up and backwards. Watch the low-bar position video mark has posted. Be sure to take note of the wrist position and everything, these are not minors that can be ignored, they will catch up to you.
    Next thing is it appears that you're squatting mainly with your quads. Your knees are drifiting back and forth and you're not driving with the hips as much as you could be. TUBOW + a box to squat on. You need to maintain the lumbar arch throughout the entire movement, this will give your hamstrings their ability to aide in the squat. And once you involve the hamstrings, things will feel different. Also, hard to tell, but you need to make sure you shove your knees out HARD and keep them locked in place at the bottom. Caving knees is not a good habit. You should feel a stretch in your hamstrings and adductors at the bottom of the squat, and it should feel as though those muscles initiate the ascent. Also, you are divebombing these squats, but that will probably go away once you start squatting heavier weights with correct form.

Press - looked ok to me, when shit gets heavy you'll know what's what, and then maybe you'll need some fine tuning. They looked pretty light for you.

Deadlifts - the bar didn't seem to stay in contact with your shins. Your back was not set. Notice how when you bend over to grab the bar, your shoulders and hips are pretty much evenly on either side of the bar? Try and bend over to grab the bar so that your scapula's are where they need to be. This means that your hips will be further back and that you'll bend your knees slightly more to have the shins touch the bar. This also means you'll feel as though you're weight is sitting back in your heels more. Also, disregard what your shins tell you, you need to scrap the bar up your entire leg. Flex your upper back tight and arch your lower back. You want to feel like you have the biggest chest in the world.

Powercleans - these look too light, but at the same time, you're not exploding at all. You're essentially trying to train your explosiveness with this movement, so make it as explosive as you can. Your elbows need to come up and you need to catch the bar in a proper rack, otherwise you'll strain your wrists once these get heavy. Also learning to catch them properly saves your collar bones from bruising. Try and take a gander at Pendlay's video on how he teaches the clean. It isn't a powerclean mind you, but I find this simple approach to learning the movement makes it a lot easier.

When you lower the bar for the press (btw you seem to just drop it) it ends up farther and farther forward of your shoulders meaning it's not over the middle of the foot and you end up pressing it backwards to get it in the correct finish position. What worked for me was actually touching my shoulders between reps (not my chest)