starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Technique and Hip Flexors

Default Squat Technique and Hip Flexors

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hallo Mark,

I have started SS some weeks ago and progressed my Squat from the empty bar to 60kg, which is challenging for me (not fucking heavy, but also not light and easy). However, I've got some problems with my technique. In particular, I have a tendency to let my butt raise to quickly when going up and so end up finishing by doing something that goes into the direction of a good morning. Whenever I really try hard to not let that happen, I feel a lot of strain on the front area of the thigh where it inserts into the hips (this might be the hip flexors ?). I always just felt a little soreness which always went away after warmup and so I just ignored it, but on Friday's workout I felt a pull in my second set and now still have pain there.

So my questions are:

1) What could be wrong with me and/or my squat (if you can make a guess with this rather sparse amount of information)?

2) How do I handle such a pull? I don't think Starr Rehab is necessary (or is it even with a small pull?), so I'd just ice it down several times per day, lower Squat weight for two workouts or so and continue as planned afterwards. Does this sound right? Is pain when squatting that doesn't go away after warmup an indicator that I should stop or should it just be ignored?

Thank you for your time,

ruden

If you can post a video of you squatting, it will help us to help you. In the mean-time, if you've "pulled" something, use ice, stretch and roll it, and use a little less weight on whatever lifts impact the area until it's better.

It could be an impingement caused by your femurs pointing too much forward. See if angling your feet and knees out and keeping your chest up helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    It could be an impingement caused by your femurs pointing too much forward. See if angling your feet and knees out and keeping your chest up helps.
    I'd give this a try too. I always used to try and point my feet forwards when squatting (thanks personal trainer!) and I would aggrivate a hip and knee injury.

Now that I've started to push my knees out and point my toes out a lot it has gone away completely.

Ok, thank you for the input. I always tried to use the correct stance and push my knees out, but today I will take a closer look at my feet.