starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi I've been doing starting strength for a while now, deadlifting 180kg for 1x5 pretty easily, done 210kg for one rep on the dead ages ago. Squatting 120kg for 3x5 atm. Trying to follow all Rip's rules on low bar squat, put the bar on the spine of the scapula on top of posterior delts, elbows up wrists straight to trap bar so all the weight is on the back. Look at the floor a few feet in front of you to initiate hip drive and keep the weight over the midfoot, imagine the bar was resting on your sacrum when driving up, etc. Here is a vid of 120kg squat 3x5 : http://www.youtube.com/gurdeepsandhu#p/u/1/nXMuGYACqwM

As the weight on the squat gets heavier I find it harder to keep the back angle constant- obv back angle is established 1/3 of the way down and should stay the same all the way through the movement. When the weight gets heavier should I start leading out of the hole with the chest to keep the back angle more constant? I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS as it would kill hip drive and is less than optimal. Any suggestions? Thanks.

It looks like your knees are traveling forward at the bottom and the whole rep is pretty fast, could be contributing to some "forward momentum." Try slowing the reps down a tad and work on keeping the bar path straight.

Quote Originally Posted by gurds View Post
    As the weight on the squat gets heavier I find it harder to keep the back angle constant
    this is what happens when weights get heavier... it's not supposed to be easy, if your back is too weak to to hold position, the answer is not to sacrifice hip drive, the answer is to make your back stronger.

Also, I saw on the related videos your vid of deadlifting the 180kg. Seems like you have quite a bit of rounding of your back. If you de-load the deadlift to a weight where you can maintain a straight back and re-progress from there, this will help to strengthen your back which should carry over to the squats.
    Last edited by brianrichard; 11-10-2011 at 11:17 PM.