Thread: need a few Squat and BOR pointers

Default need a few Squat and BOR pointers

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

First post here at SS.

my stats: 72kg bodyweight, 80kg squat.

I've been following stronglifts 5x5 now for 2 months. I have a few questions about pains I have been getting during exercise and after.

The first is in my knees, my knees have been aching a lot mainly the day after a workout, when my legs are bent for a while they grow increasingly painful until I straighten them...Now I know most responses to this would be my squat form, but my form is pretty good, I focus heavily on my form and feel that it is pretty good. I've started taking Glucosamine tablets as they are meant to help joints....but any other advice on this?

The second pain is when performing a BOR once I get to around 45-50kg the strain on my hips is very heavy...is this just because my back is not strong enough so my hips are compensating, or is this a form issue. It basically feels like im working my hips more than my back...but when I lower the weight to around 40kg I can perform the exercise correctly and I feel the strain where I should, on my back.

any advice is mucho appreciated.

cheers

I don't think you're quite qualified to say your form on the squat is good. Post a video and let the guys around here check it out because knee pain from squatting is not a normal thing unless you're 50 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I don't think you're quite qualified to say your form on the squat is good. Post a video and let the guys around here check it out because knee pain from squatting is not a normal thing unless you're 50 or something.
    That's a fair point. My knees do not hurt at all during the squat, only the day(s) after.

I will try and get a video though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallinan View Post
    That's a fair point. My knees do not hurt at all during the squat, only the day(s) after.

I will try and get a video though.
    Please do. How old are you?

Please do. How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hallinan View Post
    Definitely weird.

Have you ever injured your knee?

I'm 26 and I get the same thing. No pain during squats but the 24 hours after I have to be really safe going up stairs and standing up and stuff because my right knee will ache and shoot pains if I put weight on it sometimes.

That being said, I injured my knee about 10 years ago and it has ached ever since then.

I'm 56 and I don't get knee pain from squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I'm 56 and I don't get knee pain from squatting.
    I'm 48 and my knees feel pretty damn good.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Have you ever injured your knee?

I'm 26 and I get the same thing. No pain during squats but the 24 hours after I have to be really safe going up stairs and standing up and stuff because my right knee will ache and shoot pains if I put weight on it sometimes.

That being said, I injured my knee about 10 years ago and it has ached ever since then.
    nope never injured my knee.

I work out on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I've noticed that due to it being Monday and ive had a couple of days off my knees arn't nearly as bad as during the week. In fact I've had no real pain today. I think (hope) its just a case of my knees being tired...and after a few more months...and joint supplements they will be fine.

As for the video of my squat that was requested...aint going to happen. I really don't fancy asking anyone in my gym to video me. Vein, i know, but I just don't wanna look like a nutter.

I also had a pain in my back on friday/saturday, it seem like whenever i took a deep breath it worsened....anyone had this before?

This thread makes me sound like im falling apart. But I actually feel strong and healthy, I just have a few niggles.

Thanks for any advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast