starting strength gym

Thread: splitting the workouts?

Default splitting the workouts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hi Rip

due to work it is going to be quite hard for me to always do the training sessions, especially when the weights start getting heavy and i need to take longer rest periods. I was thinking would it be okay to split the workout, such as doing the squats in the early/late morning and do the other exercises in the late afternoon/evening?

The main disadvantage i can see is that my body will not be as warmed up as i would separate the squats from the other exercises by hours, but i assume this can be amended with a good cardio warmup and warm up sets of course....

would there be any kind of strength/muscle building disadvantage in doing this?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadliftman View Post
    would there be any kind of strength/muscle building disadvantage in doing this?
    thanks
    Probably not.

A good cardio warmup is not necessarily a good warmup for weightlifting. Other than that the idea is fine. Most people just don't have the time to get to the gym twice.

First off... search the board via google according to the how to search thread.

Next, splitting the workout as you suggest would result in even more time spent in the gym because you'd change, warm up, change and shower one extra time for the 2nd workout. You'd have 6 gym sessions a week.

One option for the time crunched is to split each workout into two days and do M T R F. You'd only be doing two "whole" workouts a week but it's only 4 sessions.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 02-13-2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: MTWR -> MTRF

that's alright about showering and stuff and i don't mind doing 6 sessions as long as it doesn't interfere with work, it just means i will have to get up earlier and sleep earlier for it to work, but i can personally see the benefits as i am sure training for an hour and half etc is not as good compared to 2 solid 45 minute sessions due to cortisol and drop in test etc. If anything i would think it could be an advantage especially when the weights start getting heavy as it allows me to recover from squats when doing deadlifts etc. I could also imagine two insulin spiking post workout shakes during the day may allow for extra recovery especially on a squat and deadlift day, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by deadliftman View Post
    that's alright about showering and stuff and i don't mind doing 6 sessions as long as it doesn't interfere with work, it just means i will have to get up earlier and sleep earlier for it to work, but i can personally see the benefits as i am sure training for an hour and half etc is not as good compared to 2 solid 45 minute sessions due to cortisol and drop in test etc. If anything i would think it could be an advantage especially when the weights start getting heavy as it allows me to recover from squats when doing deadlifts etc. I could also imagine two insulin spiking post workout shakes during the day may allow for extra recovery especially on a squat and deadlift day, what do you think?
    I think you can find the answer to all of your questions with the search function. This one's been discussed a lot.

starting strength coach development program
    You're supposed to shower after?