starting strength gym

Thread: Pain around left thoracolumbar fascia

Default Pain around left thoracolumbar fascia

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coach,

I've had this pain in my lower back for the past 6 months. It comes and goes, but seems to stick more when I bring my deadlift numbers up (I've reset my deadlift several times). It's a sharp pain that becomes even sharper when I press on it, right around the left thoracolumbar fascia. Most of the time it goes unnoticed, but when I do specific things like squat or deadlift, or even much worse, when I'm sitting down driving for more than 30 minutes it shows up. I press on it really hard and the pain goes away for a few minutes, but then it comes back.

Any thoughts on what I can do to improve it?

Thank you
    Last edited by sepandee; 02-04-2012 at 10:41 AM.

This sounds like the same thing I have. I have intermittant sharp pains on the left side of my lower back. Their not debilitating, but its enough to make me think that there's something wrong. They first showed up about 5 weeks ago after Squating/DLs, but I didn't ever notice any particular event that was the root cause. Training seemed to aggrivate it, although I couldn't tell if they were getting worse or just re-aggrevated. Some days I don't notice it at all, then others it kind of pops up to remind me its still there, even though I'm not doing anything strenous. I've ordered a belt, but I've been waiting for it to arrive for a couple of weeks now (thanks Inzer!). I've been holding off on Squats/DL until my belt arrives or until it goes away, but until then I'm gettng a little ansy. It sounds like you've been training through this. Have you noticed it getting worse with training or does it seem to just get re-aggrevated? Have you learned anything new about your issue since you first posted?

Thanks,
    Gene

Well, that post was from a few weeks ago, but funny enough I saw the doctor today for this problem (had to get an appointment from a month ago). What a coincidence!

Doctor didn't say much. The fact that it's only on one side, localized, and that it goes away for a bit after I drive my knuckles in it suggests that it's a muscle issue obviously, and she said it could be because one side is shorter (more inflexible) than the other. She suggested some sideway stretches, rotating while keeping the hips fixed, doing some core exercise like side planks, and rolling on something like a tennis ball or better yet, something even bigger (my pvc pipe that I use as a foam roller doesn't really get inside the curve).

Thanks for the update sepandee!

I think I'll try the suggestions your doctor made. I've been procrastinating on posting some form check vids to make sure I don't have any issues. I also saw a post that had a quote from Coach Rip on how to rehab injuries, that I was going to try out as well.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ower+back+pain

Thanks again,
    Gene