starting strength gym

Thread: Hey Coach, back rounding at the bottom of squats

Default Hey Coach, back rounding at the bottom of squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First of all I'd like to preface this by saying that I've read a lot online about this, and that I've also attempted to consult a PT to no avail. Now, online, I read that this problem is generally derived from either tight/unflexible hips/hamstrings/quads/inactive glutes or weak core. The PT I went to also said I had weak inner ab muscles and gave me a list of gay swiss ball-humping type exercises which I decided not to do because I doubt the problem is my abs. This is because irrespective of how much weight I have on my back, it always rounds when I get to parallel, even in a BW squat, which leads me to believe it's not a strength issue (unless I'm agonizingly weak) but instead something else is wrong. Now I've been doing all the recommended stretches I see online daily as well as hip mobility stuff such as Defranco's agile 8 4 times a week, I have also been recommended Kelly Starnes mobility wod to improve this which I will begin to do asap. However, I'm wondering if you have any other solutions for this?

If it matters, I'm 19 years old, train Muay Thai/Jiu jitsu 6 times a week and lift 3 times (always beltless) and with flat-soled Chuck Taylor type shoes (waiting for the Rogue 2012 to purchase some shoes). I squat 3 times a week, (one heavy BS day, one light BS day, and one front squat day) and deadlift once a week. I weigh 78kg and squat 125kg deadlift 155kg.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I'm guessing Mark moved this because it's been talked about a million times. If you really want feedback you're going to need to post some videos.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

+1 on the form check. A lot of times "back rounding" isn't really back rounding--it's possible that you are being fed bullshit advice from a form nazi who himself can't take 2 plates. And if you are in fact back rounding, it would be helpful for us to see where you break down.