starting strength gym

Thread: Geezer Recovery Time

Default Geezer Recovery Time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Geezers and Geezettes please post your thoughts on recovery time for the elderly. Specifically...I'm 57 and have recently made the switch to TM. Having seen an earlier GeezePost about somebody doing TM on a 10-day week, I've pushed this out a bit and am trying a 14-day week. So I've been lifting Mon-Fri-Wed. This gives me 3-4 days recovery instead of 1-2. I like the way it's working pretty well, but I'm troubled by the voice in my head telling me I "SHOULD" be getting to the gym more often. Seems to me the only real downside to this plan is not making progress as fast as possible, but that's not that important to me. Pretty sure I don't have to worry about detraining after four days off. So whaddya all think of this and also, any suggestions for moderate activity on recovery days, that won't interfere with recovery? Thanks in advance for your astute insights! GEEZERS RULE!

Bottom line, if you're happy with the progress and can adequately recover, you're golden. Enjoy.

If you're interested in seeing if regular TM is "too much" and you haven't tried it already, you might try it just to see. You've got lots of options in the middle ground between regular and 14-day. For example:
    - the 10-day version (which I haven't looked at BTW)
    - "regular" but delete Wednesday and make it total rest/recovery
    - if you're not tied to working out on specificy days of the week, try just putting N rest days between each TM workout. This will have you working out on different days of the week each week, but if you can do that then you've got a good middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by algunos hombre View Post
    Bottom line, if you're happy with the progress and can adequately recover, you're golden. Enjoy. ...
    This sums it up the best. If you are happy with progress call it a day until you need to reevaluate and reprogram.

Another recruit training for the combine to make the cut for Team Geezer! I did the M-F-W routine several times during the course of my life starting in my mid to late 40's. It worked fine. I'm now doing 3 sessions a week and that is working pretty well for me at 61. So you'll find that depending on your training load and volume you can do either if you get over loaded or want a change in pace. I've even done 2 sessions a week for months on end. Start a log with the rest of us geezers. You'll find that we old farts look out for each other and are happy to give advice. Sometimes its even useful advice.

I am 45 and doing the standard MWF on TM and have struggled with recovery. I added 25 minutes of fast walking(4 mph) plus 15 minutes of stretching every TuTh and my recovery has improved.

Just get moving with something you enjoy. Walking, hiking, rowing, shooting hoops, etc... Don't train for a marathon. Keep it moderate and you should be fine.

So you're lifting 3 times every 2 weeks, averaging 1.5 times a week?

I think you might feel better lifting at least twice a week. Mon/Fri, Tues/Sat, whatever. You could either keep the Volume / Light /Intensity schedule and rotate the day of the week each workout type happens to fall on, or for a bit less load you could stick in an extra light day in between Intensity and the next volume. So for example Saturday might alternate between volume and intensity, and Tuesday is always your light day. That would keep the lifts grooved better and probably help recovery too. Stick in at least a couple 45-minute walks somewhere and you would be good to go.

Lots of good ideas here. You could also have a day of supplemental exercises done at faster pace, higher volume, lesser weights. Rows, chins, front squats, close grip benches, ring rows, ring push ups...... Whatever turns you on. Or--intense interval work--2 to 1 work to rest ratio. No more than a half hour--but the work part needs to really be as all out as you can muster.

Whatever you do--make it part of your plan, try it for at least a month and see what it does--or doesn't do--for you.

Always Texas in my mind. Physically in Ohio.

I took a looooong layoff. (15+ years). I am, now 44 years old. I feel great for each workout and keep adding weight to all of my lifts. Flab is being replaced with muscle. Just started back training 6 weeks ago after over a decade off.

Current 5 rep working sets after 6 weeks of training:
    Squat 315
    Deadlift 365
    Bench 265
    Press 175

Monday
    Deadlift 3 warmups, 5x5
    Barbell bent rows 3x8
    Barbel Shrugs 3x5

Tuesday
    Presses 3 warmups, 5x5

Wednesday OFF

Thursday
    Bench 3 warmups, 5x5
    Close grip bench 3x8

Friday
    Squat 3 warmups, 5x5
    Straight legged deadlifts 3x6

Sat, Sun OFF

I feel strong and rested by the time I get around to the next training session for a particular lift. I continue to add weight each workout. My waist (currently wear a 56 jacket and 42" trousers) is getting smaller. Arms and everything have blown up with really weird speed. During the week, I feel a progressive fatigue that goes away by Sunday morning. I am fired up and chomping at the bit to lift each time.

Quote Originally Posted by phalzee View Post
    Geezers and Geezettes please post your thoughts on recovery time for the elderly. Specifically...I'm 57 and have recently made the switch to TM. Having seen an earlier GeezePost about somebody doing TM on a 10-day week, I've pushed this out a bit and am trying a 14-day week. So I've been lifting Mon-Fri-Wed. This gives me 3-4 days recovery instead of 1-2. I like the way it's working pretty well, but I'm troubled by the voice in my head telling me I "SHOULD" be getting to the gym more often. Seems to me the only real downside to this plan is not making progress as fast as possible, but that's not that important to me. Pretty sure I don't have to worry about detraining after four days off. So whaddya all think of this and also, any suggestions for moderate activity on recovery days, that won't interfere with recovery? Thanks in advance for your astute insights! GEEZERS RULE!
    Did you push the 10 day week to 14 days because of recovery issues? If so and recovery is dialed in now, it looks like you've found a scheme that works for you. The thing to keep in mind regarding the "I "SHOULD" be getting to the gym more often" thing is your reason for training in the first place. If you train to allow you to do a six mile trail hike with relative ease, for instance, take the time between gym sessions and go hiking. If it is to be able to build a stone wall in your garden and moose the big stones around by yourself then spend time in your garden. Whatever you like to do, being strong will help you do it with relative ease plus being strong retards the onset of twilight so you can keep doing what you enjoy deeper into your Geezerdom.
    Last edited by bob g; 02-19-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: grammerr

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, well said as always bob. The balancing act and priorities.