starting strength gym

Thread: Anyone experienced this before?

Default Anyone experienced this before?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So last night I'm having an awesome squat session. The last warm up single pops off my traps at the top, and I have a great feeling about my heaviest workset (I am on an intermediate program, working up to a single set of 5 PR). The prescribed 5 reps go up easy, so I decide to go for a sixth. Big mistake. I sunk the 6th rep just a hair deeper than the others, and the left side of the barbell struck the safety pins, causing my left side to lose tension at the bottom. I quickly re-tightened at the bottom, and completed the rep. Half-way up, I get this sharp pain just under my left patella, and that pretty much killed any other moderately heavy sets of squats I had planned. Has anyone had a similar experience? I can extend my leg with no resistance without pain, but if I apply just a smidgeon of pressure from my arms, I can definitely feel something is wrong. Doing body-weight squats causes quite a bit of irritation as well.

For the record, I squat High-Bar, and I was going for 310 lbs on this set. My instinct tells me 310 lbs is not a good amount of weight to relax under. I am a 20 y/o male if that makes any difference in my recovery prospects.

Repetitive inQuiries... it's where questions posted to Rip's Q&A get sent if he feels they are repetitious. So you should try there first, or if you don't want to ask Rip then try the "Recovery" sub-forum.

As to your question, it certainly doesn't sound good. Hopefully it's minor and it just goes away in a few days. Don't have anything beyond that.

edit: just noticed you KNOWINGLY invaded the training forum after waiting a whole 5 minutes for a response. I am reversing my assumption of innocence and good will. In reflection of your willful disregard for protocol.... i'm changing my diagnosis (note i am not a health professional and this is not a diagnosis) to chronic kneeitis.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 02-29-2012 at 01:33 AM.