starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mattress recommendations?

Default mattress recommendations?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My ~20 year old mattress is sucking the life out of me. Especially doing heavy legs laying down on an extremely firm mattress and waking up feeling like I'm in a hammock.

Anybody have any advice on what to look at and stay away from?

We currently have a SelectComfort that we love because each side is controllable AND because it was a gift (= free).

TemperPedic, something else?

I think mattresses are very much based upon individual preference. It's almost like asking guys if they'd recommend brunettes or redheads.

But for me, our Temperpedic is great. I've had it 3 years. It took some getting used to in the first month but well worth the breaking in period. Now the only problem I have is when I travel and none of the hotels have mattresses that measure up.

Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    It's almost like asking guys if they'd recommend brunettes or redheads.
    The answer is Redheads.

I'm always happy to help clear up any confusion. Carry on.

The Sleep Number mattress works great for Dearly Beloved and I. You can adjust either side to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    The answer is Redheads.

I'm always happy to help clear up any confusion. Carry on.
    I can't disagree a bit. The Perfesser is white headed but I prefer redheads.......

TemperPedic is the way we went. I've never slept better or more pain free. In fact, it is tough to go anywhere where we may have to spend the night knowing we'll be away from our TemperPedic.

We made the mistake of getting a "firm" bed with a layer of memory foam about four years ago. Needless to say I've been sleeping in the guest room for the last two weeks because the mattress in the master bedroom was killing my back. I never really noticed it (the back pain) until I started doing SS.

Are Temperpedic's really that great?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    The Sleep Number mattress works great for Dearly Beloved and I. You can adjust either side to suit.
    Sleep Number works for me/us too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    Are Temperpedic's really that great?
    Yes.

Expensive but worth EVERY nickel. And guaranteed for 20 years.

I bought a temperpedic 10 years ago because my shoulders always hurt and I sleep on my side. The pain went away in a week and has never returned.

That was the original model. They now have many models to choose from. When I went with my sister to help her choose one and told the salesperson I had the original model he said "I don't know anyone who likes those". They obviously work on commission. My sister chose the deluxe model as she likes a softer bed and she loves it.

I also have their neck pillow which works wonders for me. I am on my second one as they do not last as long as the mattresses.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Yes.

Expensive but worth EVERY nickel. And guaranteed for 20 years.
    Agree they are great. I sleep better on ours than I ever did on our $3k Sterns and Fosters.

But the "guarantee" on any mattress is generally not worth much as they are generally for a new mattress of the same brand and only good if you also purchase the box (which is a hyoooooge waste of money if you already have a good box spring, as they really never wear out).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast