starting strength gym

Thread: Wrecking my elbow while squatting

Default Wrecking my elbow while squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip, thanks for everything. I am being a big dumb idiot and causing my elbow, shoulder, and tricep to hurt after I squat. This makes benching and pressing difficult, though the pain never sticks.

The problem is that on the last few reps of a heavy set, my arm has a tendency to rotate forward a little, as though I'm trying to support the weight with my elbow rather than letting it rest on my back, like a smart person would.

What's the fix here? Should I widen my grip? (I have pretty flexible shoulders, so I keep it narrow.) Let my hand have less contact with the bar? Or just harden the fuck up, stop being a moron, and drill it into my head not to let my elbow rotate under the bar?

Not that this is definitely the problem, but check your back. If your back isn't tight, straight, and at the right angle, then the bar may not have enough support and is thus leaning on your elbow. Again, not necessarily the problem but something to check.

Could also be proper grip or bar placement. There's no way to tell without seeing a video.

I had similar issues until recently. The only change is I am now following Armstrong pullup program which includes 3 sets of pushups every morning. It seems to have improved the flexibility and stability of my shoulders, thus taking some of the strain off my elbows.

If you're confident that the elbows coming under the bar on just some reps is the problem, then just think of keeping them back/up (but at the same time focus on not pushing your hand/wrist into the bar too hard).

if that's all it is consider yourself lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    If you're confident that the elbows coming under the bar on just some reps is the problem, then just think of keeping them back/up (but at the same time focus on not pushing your hand/wrist into the bar too hard).

if that's all it is consider yourself lucky.
    I agree. I used to get a terrible pain in my elbows when I squatted and I also noticed that when I grinded out a rep I would pull down on the bar hard.

It took me several sessions of focusing hard on not doing this for me to finally get over it. My elbow hurts considerably less now.
    I think the OP just needs to keep cueing himself on keeping the chest up, a tight upper back and elbows in place.