starting strength gym

Thread: Chronic Pain in Crook of Elbow/Bicep

Default Chronic Pain in Crook of Elbow/Bicep

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It seems everytime I begin lifting weights I get this bad pain in my Elbows (which eventually radiates up into my shoulders. It takes a few weeks to flair up but then anything I do involving my arms causes it to go off. I don't do any isolation arm work, just the program as written (dropped power cleans for chins as they were aggravating it a lot). My job also doesn't help as I am moving heavy shit and ripping buildings apart with crowbbars, etc.

It is at the point now where it flairs up at the start of the day at work (both arms) and by the end of the day just bending my arms or moving my shoulders is fairly painful.

I don't know whats causing this but it is pissing me off royally as anytime I start to get somewhere it flairs up. I also get hesitant to continue on lifting as I have heard tendonitis ( I am assuming this is tendonitis) can eventually lead to some pretty nasty shit.

I am 21 and a lanky bastard at 6'2 not sure if that matters, but if you have any idea whats causing this to flair up and how I can get it to fuck off so I can keep lifting/working without feeling like my biceps are gonna fall off the bone it would be greatly appreciated.

Possibly has to do with holding the bar too low on the squat, or letting your elbows get under the bar to support the weight. Less likely, but posible that you're bending your elbows on DL or PC.

fair number of threads on here on the topic. use google to search as per the "how to search this forum" sticky in the Q&A.

+1 for not lifting elbows while squatting. My shoudlers don't flex very well and I developed some pain in the elbows as I couldn't get my hands over the bar properly so some of the weight was sitting on my wrists and then elbow. I now really force my elbows up and mostly I am pain free. Rip has a video about bar placement where he also talks about this.

I get the same thing, and also im a carpenter, so I know what youre going through at work. Some days my arms ache for hours after work. Im 100% sure its the bar placement on the squat. If I cant fix it within a few months, im going to buy a safety squat bar, because I like squatting, but its too painfull at work to keep going. It also fucks with bench, and press.

I am dealing with the same biceps tendonitis. You should try icing it directly which has helped me quite a bit. I alternate sides until it is numb. Also I recommend wearing elbow sleeves as the compression will help with pain while lifting. As everyone else has said fix any form issues. The only problem with that is once the form is perfect even perfect form can aggregate it since tendonitis is very persistent.