starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Pain When Hanging

Default Shoulder Pain When Hanging

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have no history of any joint pain, so I'm left wondering why I can't do chins or pullups. I had recently been adding mini band pullaparts and face pulls in between accessory work, so that is the only change I've made. I can bench, press, and dip without pain, but I get a sharp pain when I try to chin or pullup; more so when my hands are pronated a la the pullup. The other times I can feel the pain is when abducting my arm, such as reaching for something to the side of me or trying to externally rotate, but the weird thing is I play softball and have no pain when throwing. Can anybody help me out with any measures to take - I know nothing about shoulder pain. I'm hoping it's just some form of inflammation

Quote Originally Posted by METAL VIPER View Post
    I had recently been adding mini band pullaparts and face pulls in between accessory work, so that is the only change I've made.
    A user had a similar issue a week or two ago and posted it in Rip's Q&A. Rip listed two sections in SS3rd where he talks extensively on shoulder impingement. I suspect this accessory work is the issue.

edit:

You even posted in the thread.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 04-13-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Yeah, I was reading the thread and thought it sounded pretty similar to my situation. I've since abstained from any painful movement, so I have not been chinning, doing pullaparts or facepulls. So far, no dice. I'm doing 5/3/1 and I have a deload this coming week, so hopefully the rest aids in recovery. If it doesn't get better, I'll have to try some other troubleshooting

You forgot to say what specifically hurts. I've had pain for the motions you describe from sore lats or something similar in the rear part of the armpit (soreness due to swimming). It was localized enough that at first i thought it was an injury but turned out to be just bad DOMS.

It's a sharp pain in my shoulder capsule. This is definitely not DOMS. It's been going on for a few weeks now