starting strength gym

Thread: A Geezling looks at 44 .. . and embraces his Geezerdom

Default A Geezling looks at 44 .. . and embraces his Geezerdom

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings all. I have been on the site for about two weeks now and lifting for around 6. Thanks to Mark Hurling's eloquent breakdown of the derivatives of Geezer on bbuszard training log "Geezer Newb at Sea" . .at 44 I have learned and accepted that I am a full-fledged Geezling.

I will be around here a while. As I said, I am 44 years old, live in Lexington, Kentucky after being born and raised in West Virginia. Met my wife here in Kentucky and "No" we are not related:

We have 6 children with number 7 on the way. We have 4 boys and 2 girls ranging from 16 down to 5. Number 7 was not planned but we are now getting to the point from a tax deduction standpoint that I have to strong arm the IRS to pay me...lol.

My wife and I are in the insurance business. Last April, while on a roof I fell 2 stories and landed in a driveway standing up. I severely broke both of my legs. After many surgeries, I was advised by my surgeons and physical therapists that the best I could hope for was to walk with either crutches or a walker for the rest of my life . .I have a bunch of hardware in both of them. Today I set a new PR with a 315 deadlift after having experienced nearly 8 month of muscle atrophy while recuperating.

In reality, every day is a PR for me because I literally started by lifting everything I could at the time . .and because of being laid up for nearly a whole year I was WEAK, WEAK, WEAK . . not anymore folks . .

Nevertheless . .I have a lot to learn and I can tell from all of the posts in this forum that here is where the knowledge and intelligence lie . .maybe sometime dormant . .but it is here . . .

So that is me . . . I will close with my theme song for the next few decades . .

Looking forward to getting to know you folks . . .

Congratulations on your kids. I wish I had more, but God blessed us only with three.

Keep kicking ass and lifting heavy. I read your post on Rip's main board re how you became injured and found it somewhat inspiring. Keep squatting. That wife and kids need you.

Eat more beef.

To be fair, the Geezer taxonomy was Sully's invention. But welcome.

Regardless of the classification, I didn't think that a 44-year old (like me) was welcome here - I always expected a "get off my lawn" post if I waded in. Ducking right now...

No need for that. Of course you're welcome here.

I'm 44 as well - but I am hoping I have a little tenured "street cred", having 6 kids and two bum legs. Much better learning environment in here for me. I get tired of the bullshit, pissing contests and the pile-ons sometime present in other areas.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    To be fair, the Geezer taxonomy was Sully's invention. But welcome.
    I made major contributions, yes. But it was really a team effort, and IIRC the original concept was Hurling's.

We still need to make that a sticky.