starting strength gym

Thread: My intro

Default My intro

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey, gang. Since I've been gleaning info from this forum for a while as a guest/lurker I decided I'd say hello--mainly because I'd like to ask more specific questions and also have a bit of fun posting as well. The Forum looks to have a pretty great group of folks who can take it as well as they can dish it out* and I'm game...

I'm 51. I feel much younger, definitely act much younger and most times feel much younger. And, of course, I don't look anywhere near that old. I've never been strong. I used to tell people 'I've spent enough time in gyms to know that there are 'gifted' people out there who are strong and I'm not one of them.' Now, I'm a lot less certain of that.

Indeed, I've never been athletic. I used to be a lame distance runner--30 plus miles a week for several years in my 30s. I spent my Army time as a unit Ranger in the 2d Batt (back when it was hard, before Gore-tex, before the Regiment and, oh yeah, back before Afghanistan. That's an inside joke some will get, some won't. I could explain it but... well... you know the punchline) so have done many, many, many elevated-feet push-ups. Did more sets of 10 body-weight pullups every day than I care to remember. But, I never considered any of that 'physical.' It was mental, as far as I was concerned. You just can't quit.

Still, I've had a bunch of run-ins with the weight. Rip's discussions of running vs strength in the military really strikes home to me. That said, we didn't even have a weight room at my Army unit. We had to go to the base gym--or, buy weights for our rooms...

I bought my first set of weights when I was 15. A 110 pound set (concrete in plastic plates) and a Wieder bench... between my junior and senior years in high school I worked 56 hours in a Quikrete plant. That was when the bags weighed 80 pounds and this was in a metal building in Wichita in the summer... I'd get done with work and lift weights. I didn't know dick about strength training-it was all 'Pumping Iron' stuff as that was the craze back then-- followed closely on the heels of the karate/kung fu craze, if you'll recall.

Fast forward 30 years. I stumbled across Starting Strength while doing internet research on 'nutrition.' I've had a win/lose relationship with weight since that summer in Wichita in 1978. I've never been stupid fat, although probably technically obese. 6 years ago I went from 222 down to 168 following a 'modified' Atkins. 'Modified' being fish and chicken, not bacon, eggs and cheese. I've goofed around with enough diets (I prefer 'eating plans') to know that body comp (for me) is to a very large degree diet and not activity level. I can dump weight easily just by eating appropriately. That doesn't mean I always eat appropriately.

Back to SS. As I mentioned, I was researching nutrition, but I was also lifting again for the first real time in a LOONG time. I saw a ref to SS so I ordered the book. It reminded me of a friend of mine years ago who made gigantic strides in strength and physique doing powerlifting movements when everyone else was doing bodybuilding stuff (including yours truly.) So, Rip's book spoke to me. I know this part is weird but it took me a while to comprehend it as a beginner program. Now I know why.

I dumped 43 pounds again last year. I ended up unfortunately incarcerated for high BP. (Sully's article and recent cite make sense to me.) I was worried I was losing too much LBM (I was) so decided to start lifting again, for strength and muscle gain. One of my docs (never thought I'd say 'one' of my docs) cleared me for exercise and I was off to the races.

Programming has been difficult. Someone is missing a bet by not writing a good article about programming for the aged. Squats and deads 3x a week is more than I could recover from so I backed it off to twice with latpulldowns and back extensions in the middle. I think I've got it dialed, now, for me: Squats and deads twice a week with a bench or press plus dip and chin (well, latpulldowns working up to 3x5 chins) day in the middle. I honestly think I could go to a 4 day split, as described with a second bench or press day. In fact, I'm planning to--we'll see. I have also bought and read PP (most way past my level, natch) and got the cd.

Diet has been tough. Trying to keep the fluff to a minimum; don't care about the scale. Started jamming down the meat and I definitely see the strength gains as well as physique (sorry, looking good matters to me.) But, I'm gaining more fluff than I'd like so I'm still goofin' with this part. I realize it's going to be a long term learning experience on all fronts. Just started trying to do the carb back-loading thing which seems a lot like Leangains protocol to me. (BTW, is beer or red wine 'good carbs?')

I'm sleeping better than I have in 20 years. Strength is going up--in fact, if I live for another year I'll set all time PRs for my squats, deads and bench when I'm 52. That is a goal--and it's not too lofty, trust me.

I got my son to the gym for the first time on Saturday. He's 14 and loved it. Took him again last night-- he dead-lifted 135 (Sumo-- he's long and lean) I'm still impressed as he only weighs 118. (I had him work with a young, experienced PT who is a powerlifter ((500-something dead at 167ish)) as I am not qualified to learn this stuff let alone coach him.

That's about all I got for now. Sorry for the brain dump. I'm fired up about all this, don't have a clue what I'm doing but I'm having a good time. More info and queries about programming for the elderly later. Thanks for having me.

* Please be gentle on me. I'm a sensitive soul ;{'>

Welcome the new geezling! (muted honking ensues)

Joe Murphy, Welcome! I just started participating in this forum amonth ago or so. Lots of great help here.

Regarding recovery for the aged, I also couldn't tolerate more than 2x per week, but I'm 10 years older. You might find that as you get into shape you can squeeze in an extra workout without damage every once in a while. On the other hand, at our age we aren't in such a hurry. As long as I get strong this year and really strong in a few years, and continue to be healthy into old age I'm going to be really happy and thankful for this program.

Dive in here and start asking for help when you need it.

Hi Joe,
    Welcome.
    I started SS about 4 weeks ago but have been lifting weights for the past 4 years.
    I am so fortunate to have found this site because everybody here is so helpful.
    I wasted so much time and effort doing ineffective training.
    There are so many "experts" giving stupid advice.
    I just wanted a simple program that I knew I could use to gain strength.
    SS is perfect for me.
    This is my first post in this forum.
    I don't know what I am doing here since I am not elderly at 60.
    Good luck with your training.

Thanks, boyos. Speaking of old farts--and a wah-wah pedal...

Clapton, Winwood, and Trucks? Nice.

I saw Steve Winwood a year ago. The dude still has it. Oh, he opened for Santana - it was a very good evening of music.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Murphy View Post
    I'm sleeping better than I have in 20 years. Strength is going up--in fact, if I live for another year I'll set all time PRs for my squats, deads and bench when I'm 52. That is a goal--and it's not too lofty, trust me.
    You are doing it the right way, Joe. If you mind the recovery and eat well the PRs you set at 52 will be warm ups when you are 55.