starting strength gym

Thread: progression for over 40s novice

Default progression for over 40s novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear coach,

I’m a 47 yr old novice, currently in week 5 of the PP novice program & happily making linear progress. So far, all good, but it is clear that both my progressions (5 lbs per session on squat, 10 lbs on dead, and 2-2.5 on bench / press) and my calorie intake (eating more than usual, maybe 3500 cals/day) are less than the usual values for the under 40s which you recommend, and if I was a youngster you would clearly be saying YNDTP.
    My questions, having just read your “clarification” article, relate to how these areas should be approached for masters trainees who are also novices. Is it normal/correct for masters to need smaller increments per session? Is it reasonable to assume that as a master you will reach your limit of linear progression relatively quicker, and therefore need to introduce more programming complexity (ie effectively becoming an intermediate) due to reduced powers of recovery? How do you recommend us over 40s eat whilst trying to maintain linear progression – noting that my 47 yr old constitution doesn’t appreciate 6000 cals / day, nor any milk at all?
    Thanks for your advice on this.
    Graham

I think I understand your question.

My first recommendation to anyone with recovery concenrs is to make sure you are getting good sleep. Unlike eating more. there is no risk of becoming fat from making sure you get a solid eight hours of sleep. So that's my first piece of advice.

My second recommendation is to eat calories greater than 3500, but less than 6000. There is a lot of middle ground, there. I would start with 3750, which is about one additional thick burger sized beef patty per day. See if that helps you recover without making you fatter. If not, bump it up to 4000 with another beef patty.

Also, make sure you eat beef patties. Or steak. Or roast beef. But eat some mammal meat. Your muscles will thank you.

I am 42.

A master's needs are no different than younger lifters, mind your recovery to properly adapt to the stresses introduced by the training. This is true of any training scheme, really. In real life you'll find that you can run a novice progression for quite a while if you recover between sessions and sleep and eat well. After an initial, successful run up on the standard program you may need to inject more time between workouts to maintain linear progress. You may need to reduce your increments and flatten the curve, so to speak. Either way you can keep the progress rolling. How much time between workouts and how much you need to eat will require close observations on your part but it's something you can get a feel for pretty easily. Don't worry about the milk thing, if you are intolerant it will just gum you up anyway. Just get plenty of protein from animal sources. Read the logs of some of the old farts around here and you'll see how different folks handle things. Ask a lot of questions. There are people here ten or fifteen years your senior that are getting plenty strong, staying plenty healthy and living large. And, after all, that's what it's all about.

Enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch_g View Post
    Dear coach,

I’m a 47 yr old novice, currently in week 5 of the PP novice program & happily making linear progress. So far, all good, but it is clear that both my progressions (5 lbs per session on squat, 10 lbs on dead, and 2-2.5 on bench / press) and my calorie intake (eating more than usual, maybe 3500 cals/day) are less than the usual values for the under 40s which you recommend, and if I was a youngster you would clearly be saying YNDTP.
    My questions, having just read your “clarification” article, relate to how these areas should be approached for masters trainees who are also novices. Is it normal/correct for masters to need smaller increments per session? Is it reasonable to assume that as a master you will reach your limit of linear progression relatively quicker, and therefore need to introduce more programming complexity (ie effectively becoming an intermediate) due to reduced powers of recovery? How do you recommend us over 40s eat whilst trying to maintain linear progression – noting that my 47 yr old constitution doesn’t appreciate 6000 cals / day, nor any milk at all?
    Thanks for your advice on this.
    Graham
    First off, what do you weigh, and what are you lifts currently? That'll go a long way towards determining what you should be doing.