starting strength gym

Thread: More older lifters in the gym?

Default More older lifters in the gym?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I normally lift at home but every once in awhile I will go to one of the local gyms for a change of pace or lift with a friend. The other day I walked into one and noticed that the majority of the lifters there were 30 and above. I asked the owner about this and he said he still get some high school and college age kids but the majority of his clients are over 30 years old. He doesn't know if it is the economy or a lack of interest by younger people.

Are you all seeing the same thing in your gyms?

Nope, lots of younger lifters in my gym. However, the younger ones are doing bench and curls (the boys) or hours on the cross-trainer at slow speed (the girls). It tends to be the older ones who are doing something more productive. Not all the older ones are doing something productive, but of those doing something productive, most are over 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    Nope, lots of younger lifters in my gym. However, the younger ones are doing bench and curls (the boys) or hours on the cross-trainer at slow speed (the girls). It tends to be the older ones who are doing something more productive. Not all the older ones are doing something productive, but of those doing something productive, most are over 30.
    Similar trend at my gym -- most of the lifters are younger guys, and they tend to stick to machines or the dumbbell rack. The older guys are more likely to do the main compounds. Surprisingly, the young guys don't even seem to bench press very often.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    Similar trend at my gym -- most of the lifters are younger guys, and they tend to stick to machines or the dumbbell rack. The older guys are more likely to do the main compounds. Surprisingly, the young guys don't even seem to bench press very often.
    Most of the guys at my gym are younger than me. Currently I am the only one that squats, though. The only machines I have found use for are the standing leg curl machine and that machine that uses cables. I've found they are great places to use to tighten my belt on.

Over 30 is "older"?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Over 30 is "older"?

Jeez, don't you know it's almost time to throw some dirt on them?