starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamar Gant & Joe Bradley

Default Lamar Gant & Joe Bradley

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Marty Gallagher

“...Lamar Gant got the shock of his young life when he suffered his first defeat since winning his first world championship. “Mighty” Joe Bradley appeared out of nowhere and beat the unbeatable Lamar Gant. ”

Article

Resources Page

Awesome article! Brilliant-keep it coming SS & Marty Gallagher!

I love how lifters of that era were stronger and had better physiques then todays guys DESPITE not having all these 'modern' supplements.

Probably has to do with hard, simple training, good food and no internet!

Mark, any idea when Purposefully Primitive 2 will be out?

It says in paragraph five that Lamar was born in 1957 and set his first world record in 1974 at age fifteen. However, that doesn't "math" right. He must have been 17 or possibly only 16, if he was born later in the year than the meet he set the record at, yes?

Thanks for the thorough clarification on the IPF. Also for the stories about the legends most of us world never otherwise had known about.

Cool history; great information.

Why do I have to read about how all lifting federations suck if they are not IPF?

How does this add to the article at all?

It's interesting (well, to me anyway) that Lamar's training routine sounds similar to Ed Coan's and was similarly dismissed as irrelevant because of his fabulous DNA. Cause and effect recognition FAIL.

I don't understand, crabhat. Gant and Coan were both advanced lifters and followed training protocols appropriate to advanced lifters. Where have such routines been "dismissed"?

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    I don't understand, crabhat. Gant and Coan were both advanced lifters and followed training protocols appropriate to advanced lifters. Where have such routines been "dismissed"?
    Well, I was taking this from a statement by Marty Gallagher. On a blog called strengthvillain he has an article called Karwowski Trains Legs. In it he says, "His strength training approach was so deceptively simple that its validity and applicability for modern strength trainees has been widely dismissed by contemporary strength experts. Yet variations of this minimalistic training template was used by all the power greats of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 1990s: men like Kaz, Lamar Gant, Ed Coan, Doug Furnas, Larry Pacifico, Walter Thomas, Dan Wohleber, John Gamble and Jim Cash – all these hall-of-fame power greats used remarkably similar strength training templates."

As for where Marty got this information, I'm afraid I don't have any references.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crabhat View Post
    Well, I was taking this from a statement by Marty Gallagher. On a blog called strengthvillain he has an article called Karwowski Trains Legs. In it he says, "His strength training approach was so deceptively simple that its validity and applicability for modern strength trainees has been widely dismissed by contemporary strength experts. Yet variations of this minimalistic training template was used by all the power greats of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 1990s: men like Kaz, Lamar Gant, Ed Coan, Doug Furnas, Larry Pacifico, Walter Thomas, Dan Wohleber, John Gamble and Jim Cash – all these hall-of-fame power greats used remarkably similar strength training templates."

As for where Marty got this information, I'm afraid I don't have any references.
    I was just watching the Ed Coan interview again and Gallagher mentions it there too. Says that people dismiss his training protocol because he is a genetic freak. He then went on to say that Coan had some of the most advanced strategy he'd ever seen when it came to picking weights and planning his training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast