starting strength gym

Thread: Split Stance Adjustment for Press - Mortal or Venial Sin?

Default Split Stance Adjustment for Press - Mortal or Venial Sin?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi folks,

I'm starting SS in earnest on Monday. My ceiling is about 2 inches too low for presses with 25lb plates on the bar, and way too low with 45s.

I have several prior shoulder injuries (from rugby many years ago) and know from past experience that I feel far more shoulder stability doing standing presses vs. seated presses.

There are two ways that I am aware of to continue to do standing presses with the current ceiling:
    1. Use dumbells
    2. Modify the barbell press to use a split stance like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aGKqRp2ySk

My question is, which of these are the least evil? Or, are the both so bad that I should just kill myself and delete my forum account now?

Thanks in advance,
    --JT

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
    Or, are the both so bad that I should just kill myself and delete my forum account now?
    I laughed pretty hard at this.

Remodeling isn't an option? I take it you have a finished ceiling and it's not...I have to press and jerk in between rafters, but I also don't have a finished ceiling in the laundry room.

If it isn't I'd vote for the split stance and do a strict press. I say this because of the stability a barbell has over dumbbells, as that seems to be a concern of yours. Some forum members have dug holes in their basement and some lug their equipment outside to press.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
    Or, are the both so bad that I should just kill myself and delete my forum account now?
    Just remember to delete the account BEFORE you kill yourself.

I vote for the split stance or pressing outside. I imagine it's not too hard to lug the bar and a couple plates out, and then just clean and press them. I have been pondering acquiring some home equipment and I will have the same issue.

Good point about the account deletion BEFORE hari-kiri.

It is actually in an unfinished portion of the basement but the plumbing and wiring in the area doesn't allow me to use the rafters. I just looked, and there is another area with less plumbing but after measuring it out, I get about 3 inches of play between rafter and plates and am just cringing at the surprise feeling of slamming the barbell into the rafter at extension. I also know that my fly-like attention span is way to short to consistently remember to position the barbell perfectly between the rafters for each set.
    I can lug the barbell outside on nice days for the sets but I live in Maine and it gets freaking cold here in the winter (yes, I am a special snowflake).

Looks like I'm leaning towards the split stance with the exception of outdoor nice-day workouts, unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks for the quick replies.
    --JT

I wouldn't want to hit wiring or plumbing. I have hit a rafter on more than one occasion and it sucks every single time. I've since marked out where I need to stand on my platform so I don't do that anymore. The annoying part is I've built two platforms in my laundry room and I wouldn't hit the rafter if I was standing on the cement floor. Alas, there is no way to get to the cement now. I wasn't pressing more than 95lbs at the time so I never considered plate diameter.

Best of luck jimmy.

I have this problem, but my ceiling is so low my options were seated presses and outdoors.
    Seated presses on a backless flat bench turn out to really suck, and are scary unstable as well -- easy to fall over backwards.

I've been hauling a bar out to the back yard every other workout, and of course cleaning it from the ground for each set.
    It's fun so far, but winter's coming...

Use tens. That split stance looks awful and will hinder strnegth development a lot more than using tens.

Paul Carter of lift bang run uses tens when he presses. And no goofy split stance.

I can't believe I didn't think of 10s...that might just clear...thanks to all for the suggestions!
    --JT

Option 3)
    Get two lengths of chain, loop plates through chain, chains around barbell. Now you only need to have enough space overhead to press an empty barbell.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bono View Post
    Option 3)
    Get two lengths of chain, loop plates through chain, chains around barbell. Now you only need to have enough space overhead to press an empty barbell.
    And if I make the chain long enough, I can do thousand pound presses!

But seriously, thanks for the suggestions...I've got options now.
    Peace,
    --JT