starting strength gym

Thread: Strength as it relates to flexibility.

Default Strength as it relates to flexibility.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been thinking about this question for a long time. As a physical educator, and former coach, I'm embarrassed to say I can't make up my mind on the answer. Maybe my esteemed Geezers would like to add their input? With all other factors being equal, who has the potential to be stronger, the lifter with more flexibility or the lifter with less flexibility? And, what affect would strength training have on a persons flexibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Siltz View Post
    With all other factors being equal, who has the potential to be stronger, the lifter with more flexibility or the lifter with less flexibility?
    I'd recommend reading what Boyle and Cook have to say about joint mobility vs. joint stability in their joint by joint approach to training.

And, what affect would strength training have on a persons flexibility?
    Anecdotally, I've found that barbell training has done far more for my flexibility that my previous activities of distance running and triathlon despite doing far less actual stretching.

[Disclaimer: at 32 I might be a bit young for this corner of the forum.]

Maybe my esteemed Geezers would like to add their input?
    Ask old folks to talk? Noooooooooo! We never stop.....

With all other factors being equal, who has the potential to be stronger, the lifter with more flexibility or the lifter with less flexibility?
    Without a doubt, the more flexible the greater potential.

And, what affect would strength training have on a persons flexibility?
    It can increase it and it can also decrease it. Strength training will shorten your muscles if you don't have a stretching program. But some movements do the stretch for you, such as a stiff legged deadlift. Doing these for years gave me greatly improved hamstring flexibility over where I started. Stretching regularly will not only keep you flexible but can also add to natural flexibility if you never stretched regularly before.

My $.02.

I've been thinking about this question for a long time. As a physical educator, and former coach, I'm embarrassed to say I can't make up my mind on the answer. Maybe my esteemed Geezers would like to add their input? With all other factors being equal, who has the potential to be stronger, the lifter with more flexibility or the lifter with less flexibility? And, what affect would strength training have on a persons flexibility?
    I believe it does not matter much as flexibility required for strength training is rather ordinary. Those less flexible will get required flexibility, those more flexible will get required stability (unless we consider some freaky flexible or inflexible beasts that will both have problems). Flexibility by itself is useless or even dangerous. One needs to have ability to produce force at the end of range of motion for the range to be safe and useful. BTW, that's why static stretching is not that good at getting real useful flexibility.

Strength training will tend to normalize flexibility.

Thanks for all the great feedback! It's great to share information with such a learned group of individuals. ImpatientBull, you're never too old to be a Geezer! It's a state of mind. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten ,and best info I've learned, was from those who had been there and done that, and had the scares to prove it. Where can I find the work of Boyle and Cook?

Where can I find the work of Boyle and Cook?
    Try here.

starting strength coach development program
    Strength potential goes up as flexibility increases. However there is a optimal point after which strength begins to fall away if flexibility is too great.

Cite: Greg Everett's Weightlifting book.