starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking on the bright side of geezlinghood

Default Looking on the bright side of geezlinghood

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I'm a newly minted geezling, and in lurking on the forum for a bit, I see plenty of folks wishing they found SS and the related programs sooner. I'm a novice, but I'm wondering if any of my fellow, ahem, seasoned individuals have found some advantages to starting serious training at 40+. Maybe something in the mental approach?

Anyways, glad to be here, and the dues check is in the mail.

Yes. Patience, intelligence and the internet to name a few. I'd expound but I have to take my pills. Welcome.

While I am well in to Geezerhood, I didn't start after 40, instead I started well before that. But now in my 50's I can't understand why every geezer in the world wouldn't want to lift and keep or build their muscle mass along with keeping their bones strong.

I would also expound, but find myself needing to go change my poopy diaper.

A hearty welcome to you! I've lifted on and off since high school when 57 Chebbies were de rigeur. Mostly to poor effect since I followed every silly-ass fad there was. But Rip and most people here are the real deal.

Patience: There WILL be another day---until there ain't.

Intelligence: Seek out information and guidance---don't just blindly dive in or accept popular 'wisdom.'

Internets: Step by step, not seeking information about strength training, I came upon a reference to Starting Strength... a little Google-fu, and here we are.

Well, the other Geezers have covered most of my thoughts, but I'll add one more: gratitude. I'm just so greatful for the new (dare I say, youthful) spring in my step. I don't think I would have felt quite the same sense of recovering something once lost if I had started SS in my 20s or 30s.

It's just plain awesome to feel again almost forgotten joy of motion. Welcome!

Oldster, I've got a nine month daughter, so my life is full of poopy diapers. I guess I can't look forward to that changing much (pun intended)?

Advantages of 46-year-old me over 18-year-old-me are:
    Money: young Charlie couldn't afford a reliable car, let alone a barbell or a room to put it in.
    Sleep: I learned sleep discipline around age 35, before that was chronically tired.
    Information: young Charlie read and believed the Nautilus book. Now we've got the internet, and SSBBT3.
    Potty Training: not sure how this is relevant actually. But boy is it nice that all my kids use the toilet now!

I wish the youngest would wipe his own ass though...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by eppyg View Post
    Oldster, I've got a nine month daughter, so my life is full of poopy diapers. I guess I can't look forward to that changing much (pun intended)?
    I feel for you eppyg, I have a 13 month old Granddaughter that I changed the poopy diaper on yesterday! I don't envy you a bit, heh. I keep telling my daughter that one of these days she's going to have to be changing MY diaper!

Welcome and enjoy the forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast