starting strength gym
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Power cleans doing them or not?

Default Power cleans doing them or not?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Reading through SS on power cleans Rip states the elderly, women or unathletic people may elect not to do them. My wife is 45 and has never been athletic. We are going to be working out together so I was wanting thoughts about a different exercise to do. Rip also stated that rows are not a substitute for cleans.

So I don't know what to do. It is not like we are going to be "athletes" and need the powerful explosion that cleans are supposed to produce. We want to be fit and strong.

Please point out where Rip excuses all women from doing power cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rherington View Post
    So I don't know what to do. It is not like we are going to be "athletes" and need the powerful explosion that cleans are supposed to produce. We want to be fit and strong.
    Your assumption that only athletes need to be able to translate strength (force production against resistance over a range of motion) into power (strength deployed rapidly) is in error. Power, like strength, is a valuable attribute for any creature that moves. Give cleans a chance before you rule them out.

You should both do power cleans.

And, read this article. It's discussing doing power cleans versus full cleans, but the same would apply to doing rows instead of power cleans:

http://www.ashevillestrength.com/other-stuff/

I have the kindle version of the book so I can't give an exact page, the kindle does location. But it is in the power clean chapter, last paragraph before the sub heading "The neuromuscular System".
    And I was not clear in my post about women. It says elderly women. Is 45 elderly? Maybe, maybe not. But she is unathletic, had a knee problem before she lost a lot of weight, and has never ever lifted. It sounds like I don't think she can do them; that is not the case. She would eventually figure it out. But should she do them is another story.

53 years old, post rotator cuff surgery? And she squats 230 and deadlifts 240 for 5 (until tomorrow...)?

41, never played a sport, won her first medal at a meet in May?

I can keep going...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    53 years old, post rotator cuff surgery? And she squats 230 and deadlifts 240 for 5 (until tomorrow...)?

41, never played a sport, won her first medal at a meet in May?

I can keep going...
    And that is wonderful. And I have no doubt she could probably get super strong, IF that was a goal of hers. But right now it is to rebuild some of the muscle she lost losing her weight, and to burn some more fat off. If later on she wants to go for something like that I would support her fully. Just like I am trying to support her fully on reaching the goals she has now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Your assumption that only athletes need to be able to translate strength (force production against resistance over a range of motion) into power (strength deployed rapidly) is in error. Power, like strength, is a valuable attribute for any creature that moves. Give cleans a chance before you rule them out.
    After I showed her what it was she said no. She is afraid of hurting the knee jumping. I have just talked her into starting this with me. I am not going to insist she do cleans and have her stop on me if she tweaks the knee just a little. If your married you understand sometimes you have to take what you can get! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rherington View Post
    And that is wonderful. And I have no doubt she could probably get super strong, IF that was a goal of hers. But right now it is to rebuild some of the muscle she lost losing her weight, and to burn some more fat off. If later on she wants to go for something like that I would support her fully. Just like I am trying to support her fully on reaching the goals she has now.
    Then don't have her do Starting Strength.

It's simple.

Starting Strength is for getting stronger. It's not about burning fat. It's not about getting "in shape." It's about getting strong.

If the program isn't in line with her goals from the beginning, then it's going to be a failure from day one.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay. So what is strong enough? And you are saying the program is not effective unless you NEVER quit adding weight. Always pushing farther. Never satisfied. All or nothing. She is not going to be eating 2500 - 3000 calories because she can't. Gastric bypass won't let her! So she is NDTFP! Your saying she should do strong lifts 5x5 because it is a better program unless you go ALL the way!

Elitist attitude.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast