starting strength gym

Thread: To Rherington and the rest

Default To Rherington and the rest

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Okay, this will REALLY be my last post. And no I have not gone back to read that power clean post after my supposed last. I prefer to only imagine the abject nitwittiness which surely followed.

It is said that SS works for 99% of those who do it right. Of course I believe that.

I also believe that there are many ways to get what you want and thus you need not compromise.

There are a lot of reasons not to do cleans: they are a "skill' movement and maybe difficult for a person to learn, you do not have bumper plates, your gym does not allow them, your basement does not allow them, personal choice, personal fear, you work out at a nudist camp and you are plagued by priapism, etc.

T bone was right, just know that you are doing a different program when you substitute one thing for another.

The distribution on capabilities and mind sets, I assume, is greater for the oldsters than for those who are young. As such, SS is perhaps less applicable to the same percentage of oldsters starting training AS DESCRIBED than it would be to the same percentage of 23 year olds.

Also, it is possible that persons asking questions on The Elderly may not have exhaustively searched for other programs which may be more to their liking or to their benefit.

Thus, I thought that this forum was a media through which advice and wisdom could be passed to help people adapt or move on. Maybe 531 is better for some people for example but they know nothing of it.

Perhaps well done rows can be used in place of cleans and no kittens die as a result. I'm here to say (and I think that Rippetoe once communicated this or something similar to it) that if one's DL increases, so shall one's clean. An logical extension of this might be do DLs and forget the cleans.

(note: When I was at about 600 lbs in the DL, me and another guy tried power cleans for shits and giggles. I was able to hit 235 pretty easily. An ex-olympic lifter told me that my cleans looked like a ballistic reverse curl and if I actually trained this I'd easily be able to hit 300. QED)

So I figured that we oldsters with some experience could help heal doubt and remorse, point out other paths, offer a shoulder to cry on, shout encouragement.

Instead I find the Rippitonian Taliban enforcing SS Sharia.

People high five-ing over clever quips like "Fuck rows, yay cleans". Again "yuk, yuk, yuk."

Okay you guys, all of you, even the ones with the Kool-aid moustaches I say good luck. Keep an open mind and do not cave in to the terrorists.

I'm off to find a forum without yuk -yuk heads.

Wow. And this is coming from someone who does both rowing and power snatches.

An outstanding explication of "hooray for me and fuck all of you" as The Old Man once said was one of the unofficial USMC mottos.

Taliban, Sharia, and terrorists. Oh my. Obviously too many here don't meet your own fundamentalist standards.

SS Sharia? Really? This is one more data point that "Taliban" has all but replaced "Nazi" as the last-ditch epithet of choice in the Age of the InternetS.

Quote Originally Posted by emskee View Post
    Okay, this will REALLY be my last post. And no I have not gone back to read that power clean post after my supposed last. I prefer to only imagine the abject nitwittiness which surely followed.
    That is really too bad, especially when I think of how conciliatory I was trying to be. Seriously. You should go back and read it.

I'm off to find a forum without yuk -yuk heads.
    A Quest for the Grail if I ever heard of one. This is also too bad. As I noted in the other thread, I think you have a lot to offer this forum. But it is a bit Wild-Westy in here, and people are constrained to support their positions with evidence or logic (your allegations of Blind Sharia Obedience notwithstanding). This board is a bit rough-and-tumble, yes. You will find that this is not a particularly unusual attribute for strength forums. Do what is best for you.

Oh, and it's Rippetoan Sharia, not "Rippitonian" Sharia.

Faux pas like these can upset fundamentalists. There could be riots in Wichita Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by emskee View Post
    Instead I find the Rippitonian Taliban enforcing SS Sharia.
    No matter where one stands in the Rows vs. Cleans debate, this is funny.

What a child.

Gee, somehow my impression of this forum is that 90% of the discussion (above ends and pieces, that is) is thoughtful, helpful and supportive, if sometimes strongly argued. I must not have been paying close attention.

Not to worry Gene, that kind of butt hurt always happens when a prophet of the True Faith goes unrecognized by the iggerant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    Gee, somehow my impression of this forum is that 90% of the discussion (above ends and pieces, that is) is thoughtful, helpful and supportive, if sometimes strongly argued. I must not have been paying close attention.
    Actually, I think your impression is correct, Gene. This forum is great. Sorry this thread and the related one turned into a conflagration. I probably added more fuel to the fire than I should have. I've been prickly of late.

Oh, lettuce be real. I'm just a prick. But I probably should have disengaged earlier.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Actually, I think your impression is correct, Gene. This forum is great. Sorry this thread and the related one turned into a conflagration. I probably added more fuel to the fire than I should have. I've been prickly of late.

Oh, lettuce be real. I'm just a prick. But I probably should have disengaged earlier.
    Sully, you are a prince! My attempt at being slightly ironic went awry.