starting strength gym

Thread: How do you deal with high blood pressure and/or arthritis

Default How do you deal with high blood pressure and/or arthritis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good evening,

I am 53 have been dealing with arthritis for several years and it slowly seems to be creeping from my feet and knees into my hands and shoulders.

Also, within the past year I have developed high blood pressure.

I have been watching my diet but was wondering if any of you deal with either one of these and how do you deal with them.

Thanks

I'm 62 and I have arthritic calcification all over my L4, L5, shoulder, knee, and ankle joints from what the docs tell me about my x-rays. So far (knocking wood) it hasn't limited me yet. Yeah, my knees give me some grief now and again but it hasn't stopped me from squats or deadlifts. My lower back does cause me to miss or change up my workouts when it's tightened up on me, but my chiro has dealt with those problems pretty effectively too.

My blood pressure is now (took damn near a year of dosages and med shuffling) 120 over 80. I take Diovan HCT in the mornings and Hytrin at night. They don't take a toll on me other than sweating a lot because of the diuretic effects of the Diovan. But then I always did sweat a lot anyway.

Welcome to geezoid land.

No arthritis yet at 51, but I'm a candidate as I have psoriasis (under control with UVB, thank god.) I do have high BP and take a couple meds to keep it down. I use pink Himalayan salt but not sure I believe it's any different for BP than any other salt. My doc tells me sodium impacts BP in only a very small percentage of people and most of them are African American--he actually told me not to worry about it. (He's also a low-carb guy so perhaps I just believe him because I want to.) Oh, I lift weights to reduce stress. Seriously, it helps.

Hi, I'm 61 and have arthritis in my right knee. I've been lifting now for just under two months and my knee is actually better. Check out http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...s_big_medicine. Lots of good info in this article.

At 61 I have arthritis in both knees, and probably other joints. Like Gene61 the Starting Strength programs seem to help a lot. As Mark alludes, you have to work through the pain a bit. I used to be on Diovan when I started with the Starting Strength programs two years ago. I mix the programs with some cardio using an elliptical machine since it is easy on the knees but more intense than a bike. I lost some weight with the programs, and gained some lean body mass. I am no longer on Diovan, my blood pressure is in normal range. I also think my arthritis has improved.
    How long have you been doing the programs? Have you noticed any improvement in joint tightness and mobility? I second Gene's recommendation on Dr. Sullivan's article.

Quote Originally Posted by pkelly54 View Post

How long have you been doing the programs? Have you noticed any improvement in joint tightness and mobility? I second Gene's recommendation on Dr. Sullivan's article.
    I have been following the program for about three years. Recently, I moved from TM to 5/3/1 (2 days a week) to allow more recovery time and Wendlers approach while painfully slow seems to be easier on the joints. I have also quite doing cleans and dips and that also has seemed to help. I am trying to avoid meds at all cost by cleaning up my diet even more, drinking tons of water and walking everyday. I take fish oil, flaxseed, Osteo-Bi-flex, and Cheery Juice Concentrate. All these have helped some. I realize as I age issues are going to occur. I just want to make sure I am training intelligently.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear59 View Post
    Good evening,

I am 53 have been dealing with arthritis for several years and it slowly seems to be creeping from my feet and knees into my hands and shoulders.

Also, within the past year I have developed high blood pressure.

I have been watching my diet but was wondering if any of you deal with either one of these and how do you deal with them.

Thanks
    Is your arthritis "osteo" or "rheumatoid?" I ask as you mention that it is creeping into new places. Osteoarthritis tends to follow from trauma and it seem unlikely you have had trauma everywhere. If its rheumatoid arthritis, its an autoimmune disease, and the Paleo Diet guys have an hypothesis that this is cause by what you eat. They have had a lot of anecdotal success with a version of the Paleo Diet tuned for autoimmune disease patients. If you are interested, read the "The Paleo Answer" by Loren Cordain. You can also get info on his web site: www.paleodiet.com.

Warning: Rip doesn't support the strict version of the Paleo Diet (obviously, since it eliminates milk!). Personally, I have found it be a very healthy way of eating, with my lipids improving and my tendency to typeII diabetes put at bay (long before I started lifting). I think its particularly good for us Geezers. I've been on it more or less continuously for 8 years.