starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching, Goals, and Persistence

Default Coaching, Goals, and Persistence

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It was suggested I post this here. At the risk of committing the cardinal sin of hubris I gave it some thought and did so anyway. But this is less about what I did than how it happened that it got done. From my log.

Deadlift: 135-3, 225-3, 315-1, 365-1, 4-O-fucking-5! for a single. It wasn't even hard, but I collected this signal victory and took the four (four!) Power Systems bumper plates off each end of the bar and put paid to this goal. I haven't done this weight since my early 40's and it seriously screwed up my back when I did it (badly I'm sure). I remember clearly one of my lumbars making a sound like a huge knuckle cracking and being in pain for over a week after doing it back then. But today, I feel tired but sound as I have ever felt in my back. I know more is possible. Which given my ability to bench press 275 and squat 315, puts me at a 995 total. But 1000 is on the way. Thomas Wolfe was wrong, you can go home again. The whumpiousity when I set the bar and plates down was resounding and oh so satisfying.

So thanks again Rip, and a particular thank you to stef for hammering my form into place so I could achieve this. I acknowledge my debt to you both for managing to do this.
    Some of you here have already been to a seminar or gotten coaching locally from someone who passed Rip's muster and is certified. It seems to me that this is a critical element of lifting safely and doing well when you lift. Because I had been doing it badly for over 40 years until I stumbled across this place and Rip's work. As good as reading the texts were, hands on observables in training and coaching by someone who knows what this is all about can make all the difference. Especially in the biggest of the Big Five, the squat and the deadlift.

So if you possibly can, go do that. Us older folks tend to have a little more time and disposable income to devote to that, and given the ticking clock getting things right and persistence at staying the right course is just what we need. Even more than the youngsters.

I hope I can do a 405lb DL when I grow up! As a newbie who just got some SS coaching, I couldn't agree more with your advice. I will take it too.

Good for you, Mark. Regarding your 1000 (and I'm sure you've figured this out) add 1 pound of micro-load to the ends of each barbell and you're at 1001 by my math. I'm debating about making a 1000 total my goal for 2013. I've got a long way to go but I feel like I can get there.

Gene, you were the exact guy I was thinking of with my coaching remark.

Thank you Joe, but as easy as that 405 went up this past Sunday I know that week after next I can get 10 more pounds in the next try. I just held my fire so as not to tempt the Iron Gods with the pride that goeth before a fall.

Congratulations, Mark. Your advice is sound.

Mark,

I second your suggestion. I had my first session with Tamara Cohen this past weekend and she was able in 2 hours clean up quite a few things with my lifts. I have been at this for almost 4 months and making steady progress. Good post!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Because I had been doing it badly for over 40 years
    A point not to be overlooked. The longer you have been doing something wrong the harder it is to correct. I still wonder now and again if I've slipped back into some bad form with the squat and the press. I'm still trying to assure that I'm dialed in on what I learned in Costa Mesa. Once I'm satisfied with that, I'll review the latest evolution in the press to see how to incrementally adjust and improve from where I am now.

It's like being a white belt. You can't throw too much at them at once. You have to let subelements get wired in well and then gradually take what is rough carpentry into fine finished cabinetry. But that takes time and repetition. Or wax on/wax off, Mr. Miyagi say. Grasshopper.

Mark, kudos to you. Nice effort, great results and you have a great point about getting a starting strength certified coach.

Very nice, MEH. Your 405 at your 'advanced' age is wonderful work. I'm glad to see you persist until you got it. I think your newly found form will help you make a huge step toward a very big but doable goal. You need that goal.

The big five oh oh. You keep puttering along like you are and I have little doubt you can get it.

starting strength coach development program
    Old dudes rock! Way to go, Mark.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast