starting strength gym

Thread: Still on the Rght Side of the Grass

Default Still on the Rght Side of the Grass

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    De-lurking after a few years of reading...
    Particulars:
    1. age 58
    2. Male
    3. 6'3"
    4. 205lbs

Medical Issues:
    • Reconstructed ACL, left knee
    • Bi-Polar

Activities:
    • Squash
    • Platform Tennis
    • Golf

Started weight training in 2008 using the Stronglifts program (don't hold it against me, I was unschooled). I saw "the light" after 2 years into this journey and bought SS vol#2 (and #3) as well as PPST and more recently the video.
    5x5 burned me out and I dropped it to 3x5 and ran with that until I stalled out. I switched to 5/3/1 and have been running this program ever since, in one form or another.
    An injury here and there has interrupted my training as well as a depressive episode that took me out of action for 4-5 months. Currently I'm running my twelfth cycle of 5/3/1.

I began this adventure at 165lbs, to say I was thin would be a gross understatement. I had no experience with free weights prior to 2008. In high school and college I was a soccer player and a swimmer, but a better track and field guy (.50 440)...not to re-live past glories but simply to provide context.

Adult life found me with a racquet or a golf club in my hand...there's a reason I ran and swam it seems, I have poor hand / eye...but I do love the competition. Due to an overuse injury four years ago, I developed a wicked case of Plantar Fasciitis and had to stop playing everything. I'm better now and trying to fit in the sports with the weight training

To try to keep my head on straight during the convalescence, I turned to lifting, and I've never looked back. And as with most of my endeavours, I'm not a great at it, but I do love it.

Current Stats:
    • Squat - 295lbs
    • Deadlift - 417.5lbs
    • Bench - 217.5lbs
    • Press - 150lbs

Today's session
    Press Day 3's day
    eb x10 65lbs x5, 85lbs x3, 95lbs x1
    105lbs x3, 120lbs x3, 135lbs x3 just missed a 4th
    142.5lbs x1
    120lbs x3, 105lbs x12
    I've tweaked the program to incorporate 2 heavy singles at 90 and 95% as well as going back down the mountain and AMRAPing the last set

Assistance Work:
    Bench - eb x10, 95lbs x5, 135lbs x3, 145lbs x1, 155lbs x10, 145lbs x10, 135lbs x10
    Rows - 135lbs x10, 145lbs x10, 155lbs 3x10
    Neutral Grip Chins / Dips - bw+12lbs 5x5

I'm digitally challenged at the moment so I have no videos and won't for the foreseeable future.

I welcome comments on the programming as well as thoughts on recovery for those of us where the spirit is willing but the flesh screams "let up a little, you fool".

Great title for this thread! Maybe the best ever. Welcome to the new geezoid and what looks like some pretty good work.

Might I suggest starting a log. That is without doubt the best way to elicit comments of the kind you are looking for.

Thanks Mark, will do ASAP.