starting strength gym

Thread: Bad Cramps

Default Bad Cramps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Lately I have been getting really bad cramps. It started with my hamstring while eating out, now my other hamstring has been cramping up too. Last night I had my abs, left tricep, and left shoulder cramp up really bad during a PR deadlift pull.

These are really bad ones too. After the cramp subsides, I actually have a little bit of muscle tearing/damage.

So what is the best way to go here? More fluids for sure, but any particular kinds you can recommend? I currently drink a 1/4 gallon of milk a day, a large gatorade during the workout, and a few diet sodas throughout the work day. I get some water in there too at work, but sometime I know I am a little dehydrated there.

Thanks in advance! :-)

The diet sodas probably are less hydrating than you think, due to the slight diuresis induced by the caffeine. You do get some salts out of em though. In addition to just drinking more water in general, I'd either cut the gatorade 50/50 with water, or probably even a better idea would be to swap it for coconut water completely.

Adding some powdered BCAA's to your water in between meals may help you get more fluid in and as much as you are training, fluid an electrolyte status is not something to be messed with. Also, you're salting your foods, right?

Magnesium citrate supplements help me with muscle cramps.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Yes if deficient this will be helpful, although potassium, sodium, and fluids would be my immediate approach.

Seconded. SloMag (slow-release magnesium tablets, helps with absorption) and magnesium oil that you spray on your body both worked for me - the mag oil also helps alleviate soreness, aches and pains, little tweaks, etc. if you spray it on the affected areas. I suppose soaking in a tub with epsom salts might also do the trick, and they're great for general post-workout soreness and inflammation as well. Good luck, bad muscle cramps are the f'ing worst ...

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    My father in law and my Son both do this because of their terrible cramping.

Would midol help you though, Les?

Before you hunt me down and thump the snot out of me, I was making a joke about your ovaries and uterine reproductive issues.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yes if deficient this will be helpful, although potassium, sodium, and fluids would be my immediate approach.
    Dang. Thats right. They both use potassium and sodium too.

Fluids are so important that I rarely even think about mentioning it thinking that everyone in any sort of athletic endevour knows. Sometimes I just don't think...