starting strength gym

Thread: weight loss....

Default weight loss....

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,
    thanks for doing this!

I am 43, female, 5' 7", 147 lbs ( have gained a few pounds since Thanksgiving ) I have been doing SS since June, and am switching to 4 day split for time purposes, as well as the thought of maybe adding in some conditioning to help lose some BF.
    I am not that concerned with getting lifts way up, more concerned with enjoying myself, making slow progress, and losing some weight. Didnt gain any weight until recently, but lifts all went up. I know I am over 2000 calories a day... especially lately.
    any suggestions you have would be great.
    Thanks!

Give me an idea of what you're eating now (to the best of your ability to recall) and more specifics on your training, i.e. your current working weights and how you're progressing. Also, do you have access to a prowler, rower, or both?

okay, but lately, much of my diet has involved chocolate. We get a lot of goodies where I work, and I can't eat wheat, so if it is chocolate, I eat it. at least in the last month.
    2 eggs, tea, banana, greek yogurt with granola, most days a scoop of protein powder, apple, gluten free granola bar, then after work...corn chips and salsa, or cheese, or something quick, then for dinner chicken or beef, or pasta, pizza on Fridays. depending on what is for dinner, salad, and honestly probably a few cookies. I am embarrassed to type this
    . I also have been eating way too much chocolate. I know what not to do, hoping for some targets to make it easier to eat better.

As for lifts...most recent workouts ... squat - 137.5 x 3 x 6, bench - 87.5 x 5 x 3, deadlift - 160 x 5, press - 55 x 3 x 5. bench progress is slow, deadlift as well because when I have been short on time I have skipped deadlifting, which is why I am moving to 4 days.
    I do not have access to a prowler, or a rower. I do have kettlebells.
    I dont mind counting calories, I have done it before with success, hoping you can help me out with some targets for protein etc. Carbs can be a trick for me again, since I can't eat gluten.

Thanks. I do realize lately I have a very poor diet.

Yes, sometimes typing out or writing down all the junk can be cathartic in a way. I've worked with many females in your demographic and they all seemed to get really good mileage out of moving to a weekly oriented training schedule and some hard conditioning 2x per week. I think if you started with something like: 170/150/50 for protein, carbs, and fat and got your carbs mostly from rice (white will be tolerated better than brown) and sweet potatoes, veggies, and a little bit of fruit you'd be good. You know what you need to do (cut out the extra junk), but if targets help you then these will work. After a week or two of adjusting to these macros, you'd probably be well served by cutting the carbs down a touch on all days and throwing in a carb up day, but that sort of tweak is reserved for after your eating gets back on track.

Per the conditioning, I'd either have you do some circuits after the main lift(s) consisting of movements that lend themselves to a fast cycling time (ie you can do lots of reps without tons of thought, e.g. swings, pushups, chins, inverted rows, etc.) or do some interval work on something like an elliptical/stair mill. Not optimal but people have been getting lean on these for a long time and I've had some luck with them when the rowers were occupado and we had snow on the ground.

Also, why can't you eat wheat? Just curious.

thanks!!! It is pretty embarrassing. Any rough daily calorie target?

I can't eat wheat because i have celiac disease, diagnosed with a biopsy. If i could, I would.
    Weekly oriented? As in, not LP?

A those macros, the cals work out to about 1730. Sorry to hear about the celiac sprue. The reason I ask is because there are all types of people who don't have celiac who don't think they can eat wheat because of all the mass media. I don't eat wheat much unless its under a pizza, but that's neither here nor there.

Yeah I had to move my female clients to weekly programming, but its still linear progression because we add weight to the bar every week (instead of every other day like the standard SS model). I figure it's just a function of the women simultaneously losing weight while getting stronger.

thanks!! yes, not eating wheat is the in thing now. I guess I am cooler than I thought. Thanks for the info, weekly progress makes sense to me!

D

Quote Originally Posted by dbrvt View Post
    thanks!! yes, not eating wheat is the in thing now. I guess I am cooler than I thought. Thanks for the info, weekly progress makes sense to me!

D
    Just out of curiosity, when did you get dx'ed and do you get symptoms with stuff like rice or peeled potatoes?

starting strength coach development program
    must have been about 10 years ago. maybe 9. No, no symptoms with rice or potatoes. Sometimes I think yes with corn. I have read some articles recently stating there may be issues with rice, and even coffee. Lots of unscientific info out there now, as more people give up wheat for all kinds of reasons, not relating to autoimmune issues. I weighed 25 pounds less when I ate wheat! At least more gluten free food is readily available.