starting strength gym

Thread: When to eat (and how much of what each day) relative to each lifting session?

Default When to eat (and how much of what each day) relative to each lifting session?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have questions relative to the best time of day I should do my lifting sessions and when I should eat in relation to my lifting (and the macro levels of the meals) and when to eat (or not to eat) any of the macro nutrients throughout the day.

Currently, I get up at 4:30 a.m. to "workout". I will be starting the SS program in about a month from now and will be doing my lifting at this same time instead of these workouts. I don't eat anything before working out, but I do eat a pretty good breakfast afterwards (i.e. oatmeal with fruit, cottage cheese with fruit and a serving of hydrolyzed whey protein.) I usually eat 6-8 oz of protein for lunch (chicken or turkey, sometimes pork or beef) along with a couple tomatoes, a wedge of cheese and an avacado. Dinner is whatever my wife has cooked up, but is usually another 8-10 oz of protein (chicken, pork, beef, sometimes fish) and bunch of vegetables of some sort or other. I will usually eat something small later in evening, close to bed time (e.g. a protein bar or a cheese stick, etc, which seems to add enough fuel to get me through the next morning's workout.)

There is so much conflicting info on the internet regarding:

1- Best time of day to workout...I mean lift :-)
    2- When to eat relative to the workout (i.e. whether to eat before or after or both.)
    3- Whether or not to "load up" on any of the macro nutrients surrounding the workout.
    4- Whether or not to eat before bed.
    5- Whether or not to eat carbs after noon.

What is your take on each of these? I've sifted through everything I've read "out there" so far, and I have been doing what sounds the most reasonable, but at this point I honestly have no clue if I'm any where near the truth or not.

Thanks!
    Kent O'Driscoll.
    Last edited by kodriscoll; 12-17-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kodriscoll View Post
    There is so much conflicting info on the internet regarding:

1- Best time of day to workout...I mean lift :-)
    2- When to eat relative to the workout (i.e. whether to eat before or after or both.)
    3- Whether or not to "load up" on any of the macro nutrients surrounding the workout.
    4- Whether or not to eat before bed.
    5- Whether or not to eat carbs after noon.

What is your take on each of these?
    A lot of this is really individualized and honestly, despite any scientific angle I could bring into the arguments it still doesn't change the fact that people have gotten really good results using certain "rules" pertaining to the aforementioned issues, i.e. not eating before bed.

1) The best time to lift is when you feel your strongest, obviously. Some ex. science studies have tried to point out that a certain period of time after rising, like 6-8 hours, is optimal. I've had good results training on a metric ton of coffee and pre workout in the morning (before 6am), training at 9pm, and everything in between. My opinion, it doesn't matter much as long as you're hydrated, motivated, and warm.

2) I have to train on an empty stomach otherwise I go through too many pairs of compression shorts. You'll definitely want to eat before and after, although the exact timing of when these meal occur relative to training is individual and dependent on what the meal consists of. I generally recommend 1-2.5 hours of digestion time before training if you're taking in a substantial meal. If its a protein bar or shake, you could probably train right away. Post workout should be relatively soon, although the hype of the magic 30 minute or 1 hour window is a little overblown, in my opinion. Some people get really good results by eating while they workout! There's also a bit of research citing that you should wait 30 minutes after a workout to feed. Personally, I just setup my eating schedule so I'm eating every 3-5 hours (4-5 meals a day) and my workout usually starts about 2 hours after a meal, takes 90 minutes or so, and then I end up eating right when I get home.

3) I'm a big believer that if you're having a good bit of carbs in your daily workout then at least 50% should be split in the meals around the workout. I've had some decent results with people who thought they were "carb sensitive" by putting all their starchy carbs pre and post workout.

4) It doesn't matter if you eat before bed. I wouldn't intentionally try and not eat after any certain period of time because it doesn't matter. Similarly, I don't see an advantage to eating right before you hit the hay. Just let your meal frequency and intake determine when your last meal is. Only stipulation is I would probably avoid any low glycemic starchy carbs directly before bed.

5) Eat carbs whenever you want, provided they fit your macro intake. My one rule is eat carbs after you train (if you're not following a keto or low carb diet). If you train in the evening, eat carbs in the evening. Additionally, you may get some mileage out of eating a good whack of carbs after you train in the AM, then saving all your carbs until your last meal or two before bed so that you've got some glycogen stored up for the next day's AM training session.

Perfect...and thanks again! I really do appreciate you taking the time for us in this forum. I'm sure my novice, 101ish questions aren't the most interesting (and satisfying to answer) for someone of your credentials, but it means a lot to me.

Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by kodriscoll View Post
    Perfect...and thanks again! I really do appreciate you taking the time for us in this forum. I'm sure my novice, 101ish questions aren't the most interesting (and satisfying to answer) for someone of your credentials, but it means a lot to me.

Kent.
    No problem, Kent. I actually am of the opinion that the "novice" questions are 90% of the game and more people will benefit from them than some of the more "advanced" questions. Also, my credentials simply mean I paid too much to certify that I can, in fact, read books and take tests! Good luck to you! Come back and tell us how you're doing.