starting strength gym

Thread: GOMAD to compensate for poor diet?

Default GOMAD to compensate for poor diet?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Quick question - will the calories and nutrients in GOMAD compensate for a less than optimum diet when following a linear progression?

I'm 32, 5 foot 9 and around 182lbs - my lifts are still increasing as per the poundages dictated by the program. However, my diet is generally pretty poor. Could I use GOMAD as a kind of 'calorie insurance' to ensure I meet my nutritional needs each day? Will I be able to sustain progress for longer with the milk than without?

Rip mentions a link (albeit tenuous) between milk and muscle growth due to its hormone content. If that is indeed the case, would it make sense to do GOMAD anyway?

Depends what you mean by "less than optimum".

You'll be a skinny on the protein if GOMAD is your main source of nutrition and you could be deficient in some vitamins/minerals depending on how heavily you rely on it. There are some interesting things to milk with regards to its growth and recovery properties. I've seen lots of work on it where it beats expensive post workout shakes in muscle recovery and protein synthesis and people drinking milk losing more body fat than non drinkers, etc. Milk is a handy way to get additional calories in large amounts if you're struggling to do so. It won't make up for a "poor diet" if it means you're living on cereal, sandwhiches, and tv dinners.