starting strength gym

Thread: Perfect Health Diet?

Default Perfect Health Diet?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I'm in the middle of reading the PHD book. Seems like a very well researched approach. Any issues with it from your perspective? Any modifications to consider doing Novice Programming SS at age 61?

I love this new Forum section! Thanks for doing it.

Gene

I have this book but haven't read it yet. I did a little digging and got the gist. The diet looks good and I'm a huge fan of the food quality in the diet, however I think you'll likely need to track your food and add/subtract as necessary. I also think you'll need more protein than they recommend, even tho I don't know what they recommend....it's just almost a given.

They do say that you need more protein when weight training. Another interesting thing they say, and they have studies to back up everything they say, is that it is excess fat in the diet that signals the body that it is in caloric excess and that it is "ok" to spend resources on building muscle. They are also in favor of plenty of "safe starches," potatoes, yams, white rice, etc.. Their version of the Paleo Diet seems more supportive of athletic endeavor than the typical very low carb diets.

Yea I perused through it a bit this AM. I like this spin on "Paleo". I'd disagree about the excess fat and muscle building, although the caloric excess point could be debated back and forth amongst academic types. Still, this doesn't change the fact that it looks like a pretty decent template to start on food quality-wise. Now you just have to see how much protein, carbohydrates, and fats you need to facilitate LP.

The dietary fat - muscle building connection is outlined on Pg 139. Their conclusion is deductive from several related studies rather than any study directly showing the connection, so this conclusion is more tenuous than most in their book. However, I'm curious, why do you think it's wrong?

I've been on this diet (or at least, using it as my major guideline) for about the last year and a half. I have been able to gain *some* weight on it, though Rippetoe still thinks I need another 50#. I'm 53, and am stronger than I've ever been in my life, even stronger than I was in my late 20s after 4 years of dedicated, though misguided, weight training.

Re: the "what do you weigh?" question ... 5'11", ~175#

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    The dietary fat - muscle building connection is outlined on Pg 139. Their conclusion is deductive from several related studies rather than any study directly showing the connection, so this conclusion is more tenuous than most in their book. However, I'm curious, why do you think it's wrong?
    It's more related to calories and hormonal milieu than dietary fat. Excess dietary fat could be used for the primary energy substrate, but certain amino acids/proteins will also need to be present in addition to other hormonal/training factors being in place. You could also do this with carbs or protein instead of using extra dietary fat.

Quote Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
    I've been on this diet (or at least, using it as my major guideline) for about the last year and a half. I have been able to gain *some* weight on it, though Rippetoe still thinks I need another 50#. I'm 53, and am stronger than I've ever been in my life, even stronger than I was in my late 20s after 4 years of dedicated, though misguided, weight training.

Re: the "what do you weigh?" question ... 5'11", ~175#
    I do think it's an excellent food quality-based nutritional protocol, but in order to drive strength you will need to fuel appropriately. At 5'11 you'll likely need to push yourself over 200lbs to get to a high level of strength and then, depending on your goals, you might hang out around 190-195 with a BF in the range of 12-15 (ie pretty lean). On the other hand, if you just want to stay at 175 and be kinda strong then go for it, but Rip is right, you need to gain a bit of weight, especially if you're trying to run out the novice progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It's more related to calories and hormonal milieu than dietary fat. Excess dietary fat could be used for the primary energy substrate, but certain amino acids/proteins will also need to be present in addition to other hormonal/training factors being in place. You could also do this with carbs or protein instead of using extra dietary fat.
    So is there really no difference where you get your excess calories from between carbs and fat? I've noticed my recovery has gotten better when I began switching from carbs to fat, but there are so many significantly confounding variables that I shouldn't causally attribute it to that switch.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    So is there really no difference where you get your excess calories from between carbs and fat? I've noticed my recovery has gotten better when I began switching from carbs to fat, but there are so many significantly confounding variables that I shouldn't causally attribute it to that switch.
    I wouldn't say that, as this depends highly on the individual and like you said, many other factors. I prefer to keep carbs and fats as high as possible during prep phases, but which macronutrient represents the main energy source of the individual can have some big time effects.